Skip to main content


16:51 9th October 2010

Owls edge past Orient

Lewis Buxton was the unlikely matchwinner as Wednesday continued their mini-unbeaten run with a 1-0 victory over Leyton Orient.

The defender rose high at the back post early in the second half to head his second goal for the Owls but the O's could count themselves unlucky to leave S6 empty-handed.

Russell Slade's side went close on four occasions but failed to make the most of their chances, leaving Wednesday relieved to store all three points.

Alan Irvine made five changes to the starting line-up from the dramatic penalty shootout triumph against Chesterfield in the JPT on Wednesday night.

Owls v Orient

Jon Otsemobor, Tommy Spurr, James O'Connor, Tommy Miller and Marcus Tudgay all returned to duty, while Jermaine Johnson took a place in the squad for the first time this season after recovering from a knee injury.

Mark Beevers and Giles Coke sat out the game after picking up knocks during that epic clash with the Spireites.

Orient arrived at Hillsborough in the bottom three and were on the back foot in the early exchanges as the Owls knocked the ball around with confidence.

The visitors seemed content to sit deep with the intention of hitting Wednesday on the counter, which is exactly what they did six minutes in when Dean Cox looped an accurate cross into the box that Alex Revell met firmly with his head only to be denied by Nicky Weaver's acrobatic save.

That was a warning shot to Wednesday, who responded with a sharp run by Gary Teale down the left that forced rookie keeper Lee Butcher into evasive action.

The hosts saw plenty of the ball without penetrating the Orient defence and that allowed the Londoners to build on a solid rearguard foundation.

And this they did, with only poor finishing preventing a half time lead when firstly Cox blazed a decent chance over the bar before the same player had an even better opportunity but Darren Purse came to Wednesday's rescue with a superb goal line clearance.

Owls v Orient

Dangerman Cox warmed Weaver's hands from distance seven minutes before the break and after their promising start, it was the Owls that went down the tunnel more grateful for the whistle.

Wednesday fashioned a good move five minutes into the second half when Darren Potter found space down the left and his low cross found Tudgay, whose drilled effort was deflected wide for a corner - from which the Owls took the lead.

Teale's corner was hit long and with pace to the back post, where Buxton was on hand to head firmly past Butcher.

The goal triggered a more positive approach from Orient and a goalmouth scramble minutes later almost brought an equaliser.

Owls v Orient

But the Owls survived that brief flurry and instead came close to doubling their advantage at the other end, with Tudgay shooting wide after bursting through on goal from outside the penalty area.

The game then settled into an even affair with few chances, although Wednesday certainly shaded the possession. Teale and Spurr linked up well down the left, sending in a string of crosses that threatened the Orient goal.

The Londoners' stood firm, though, but failed to produce in the final third and Buxton's strike proved decisive.

Owls: Weaver, Otsemobor, Purse, Buxton, Spurr, Miller, Potter, O'Connor, Teale, Morrison (Mellor 78), Tudgay

Unused substitutes: Jameson, Hinds, Jones, Sedgwick, Johnson, Heffernan

Leyton Orient: Butcher, Omosuzi, Chorley, Forbes, Cox (Tehoue 87), Dawson, McGleish, Chambers, Revell (Walker 71) Daniels, Spring

Unused substitutes: Lovelock, Brown, Jarvis, Cestor, Smith

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.