Skip to main content


16:56 16th October 2010

JJ sparks Wednesday win

The Owls continued their fine run of form in October with a 2-0 victory at Huish Park over Yeovil Town.

Jermaine Johnson marked his return to the side with a goal after coming on from the bench in the second half and Tommy Miller wrapped up the points with a penalty moments later.

Wednesday were made to play the final few minutes with ten men as Jon Otsemobor was issued a straight red card for a late challenge on Nathan Smith but the score stayed at 2-0 - to give the Owls three hard-fought points.

The Owls made one change at Huish Park with Daniel Jones in the starting line-up against the Glovers.

After playing 85 minutes for the reserves on Tuesday, Johnson took up a place on the bench.

The Owls made a bright start to the contest, enjoying good spells of possession and were almost in front after seven minutes when Marcus Tudgay rose high to meet Jones' cross but his header flew inches wide.

The visitors were piling the pressure on Yeovil in the early throes and Gary Teale had a golden chance to break the deadlock.

Yeovil v Wednesday

Clinton Morrison showed a good turn of pace to escape his marker down the right and drove a low ball across the face of goal which Teale side-footed over the crossbar.

The game began to even out as the half progressed but the home side were limited in terms of chances in front of goal with striker Gavin Williams striking way over from distance.

Yeovil then came close to taking the lead when Owain Tudur Jones burst forward down the middle, playing a neat through ball to Sam Williams, who cut inside Jones in the area, but his shot was well smothered by Nicky Weaver and Wednesday were able to clear the danger.

The Owls had lost the early momentum that had seen them create a number of good early chances as Yeovil began to take the initiative towards the break.

But Wednesday responded to Yeovil's spell of pressure, keeping good possession in midfield and winning a flurry of corners - none of which the Owls profited from going into half time.

Five minutes after the restart and Yeovil were first to threaten as Andrew Welsh launched a free kick from the half way line into the box which Paul Huntington put just wide with his head.

The home side were in the ascendancy and Tudur Jones was next to test Weaver but the midfielder, on loan from Norwich, saw his strike well saved by the Wednesday keeper.

Owls' boss Alan Irvine then made his first change of the game sending on retuning winger Johnson in place of Teale.

And that move paid immediate dividends as Johnson took just ten minutes to make his mark by scoring with a superb strike into the top corner from out on the left.

The lively winger produced a special moment in front of the packed away stand at Huish Park as the Jamaican fired Wednesday into the lead with an unstoppable drive past Yeovil keeper Stephen Henderson.

The goal gave Wednesday a lift and the impact Johnson was having was evident as the home side were struggling to deal with his pace.

Things then got better for the Owls after 80 minutes when Otsemobor was brought down in the box by Luke Ayling and Miller stepped up to take the penalty to put Wednesday 2-0 up.

The game ended with a sour note for the Owls who had to see out the final few minutes with ten men as Otsemobor saw red for a late challenge on Nathan Smith but that was the last of the action as Wednesday win their fourth consecutive game in October.

Yeovil: Henderson, Huntington, Smith, Ayling, Williams, Bowditch (A Williams 77), Welsh (Freeman 66), Virgo (Alcock 36), Tudur Jones, Williams, MacDonald

Substitutes: Roberts, Upson, Calver, Kalala

Owls: Weaver, Otsemobor, Purse, Buxton, Jones, Teale (Johnson 62), Potter, O'Connor, Miller, Morrison (Sedgwick 81), Tudgay (Mellor 69)

Substitutes: Jameson, Spurr, Hinds, Heffernan

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.