Skip to main content


16:54 23rd October 2010

Owls hit back to post point

Sheffield Wednesday came from behind to earn a share of the spoils against AFC Bournemouth at Hillsborough on Saturday.

Ryan Garry opened the scoring in a first half the Cherries largely dominated but the Owls hit back after the resumption through substitute Neil Mellor as Wednesday turned in a dramatically improved performance in the second 45.

Alan Irvine made two changes from the side that started the game against Yeovil last Saturday, with Mark Beevers and Giles Coke returning to duty. Jon Otsemobor - sent off at Huish Park - kicked off a three-match ban while Gary Teale dropped to the bench.

After a cagey opening, the Owls fashioned a six-man move that ended with Tommy Miller stabbing over the bar before the same player side-footed a daisycutter that Shwan Jalal comfortably saved.

But the Owls' early promise was promptly undone after 24 minutes when Bournemouth scored with their first meaningful attack of the game.

Rhoys Wiggins found Garry with an accurate corner and the defender drilled in a first-time volley that flew past Nicky Weaver and into the back of the Kop net.

That strike gave the visitors the confidence to press on and twice they had half-chances to extend their lead, again from corners, but both opportunities went begging.

But what Bournemouth did do effectively was keep the ball well, particularly in the midfield area, to leave the home side frustrated for much of the first half.

Wednesday were in need of an attacking boost for the second period and boss Irvine made a double substitution in a bid to up the ante.

Mellor and Teale came on, with Clinton Morrison and James O'Connor making way, and the Owls certainly looked brighter after the break.

Darren Potter looped a volley over the crossbar but Bournemouth responded immediately as Josh McQuoid flashed in a low drive that Weaver did well to palm past the post.

With Wednesday now having more zip in the final third, the Cherries seemed to lose some of their first half swagger and the Owls continued to press.

Teale sent in a thumping half volley that flew narrowly wide of the upright before a Marcus Tudgay snapshot stung the hands of Jalal.

The visitors had little choice but to stay on the back foot and were clinging on to their slender advantage they almost lost when Mellor glanced wide after linking up well with Jones.

Mellor was causing problems for the Bournemouth defence and came close to engineering an equaliser when he fired in a teasing low cross that just evaded onrushing duo Coke and Teale.

There was a sense the leveller was coming, though, and it duly did eight minutes from time.

Teale found space down the left to find Mellor driving in on goal and the loanee striker beat Jalal from eight yards to ensure the Owls posted what proved in the end a well-deserved point.

Owls: Weaver, Buxton, Purse, Beevers, Jones, Miller, Potter, O'Connor (Teale 46), Coke, Morrison (Mellor 46), Tudgay (Heffernan 77)

Unused substitutes: Jameson, Spurr, Hinds, Sedgwick

AFC Bournemouth: Jalal, Garry, Pearce, Bartley, Pugh, Robinson, Feeney (Fletcher 82), Smith, Wiggins, McQuoid (Taylor 90), Hollands

Unused substitutes:
Stewart, Cooper, Partington, Bradbury, Cummings

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.