Skip to main content


17:52 22nd January 2011

No capital gain for Wednesday

Sheffield Wednesday slipped to defeat against Leyton Orient on Saturday as second half goals from Ben Chorley, Harry Kane, Alex Revell and Paul-Jose Mpoku handed the hosts victory.

The Owls edged the first half but failed to make the advantage count, leaving Orient to do just that in the second period and claim the points.

Alan Irvine handed an immediate start to new striker Gary Madine, while Lewis Buxton returned at right back having recovered from a hamstring strain.

But both players made it only to half time before being withdrawn through injury on a miserable afternoon in the capital for Wednesday.

Play was equal through the early exchanges at the Matchroom Stadium, with neither defence under real pressure as possession was shared largely in the engine room.

Orient were first to stake a claim in the final third when Chorley brought a decent save from newly-named skipper Nicky Weaver with a firm far post volley.

Orient v Wednesday

Wednesday hit back and came close to taking the lead as a defensive mix-up allowed Chris Sedgwick to nip into the danger zone unattended but Charlie Daniels was on the line to hoof clear.

The Owls grew stronger as the first half unfolded but Orient had their moments and not least when Revell had the ball in the net from close range only to see his effort ruled out for offside.

At the other end, though, Wednesday continued to ask most of the questions and Gary Teale came close on the half-hour mark, firing low and hard but Jones' late intervention prevented the opener.

Teale caused the hosts' problems down the left, be it getting to the byline or cutting inside and Orient could count themselves fortunate to go into the break still on level terms. But the second half was a different story.

The Owls emerged without both Buxton and Madine, with Mark Beevers and Neil Mellor entering the action.

Orient started the second period at a brisker pace and Dean Cox saw a clever chip spooned away by Weaver minutes after the resumption.

And in the 50th minute, Russell Slade's side went into the lead from the penalty spot. Teale was adjudged to have handled Revell's headed knockback and Chorley did the honours from 12 yards.

The goal gave Orient a huge boost and they almost doubled their lead when Weaver saved well from Revell.

But the Owls' keeper could do little when the Londoners did go 2-0 up on 57 minutes. Revell swung a dangerous free kick right into the heart of the box and Kane was on hand to tap home from five yards on his first senior start.

Kane then forced a fine save from Weaver as Orient threatened to put the game out of reach and they did exactly that 11 minutes from time when Revell headed Daniels' free kick into the bottom corner.

And still there was time for substitute Mpoku to bag a fortunate fourth when his set piece from 25 yards bounced straight past Weaver to round off what proved a comfortable victory for Orient.

Orient: Jones, Whing, Chorley, Forbes, Cox (Mpoku 80), Dawson, Revell (Tehoue 80), Daniels, Spring, Smith, Kane (McGleish 70)

Substitutes: Butcher, Brown, Jarvis, Odubajo

Owls: Weaver, Buxton (Beevers 46), M Morrison, R Johnson, Jones, Sedgwick, Miller (J Johnson 59), O'Connor, Teale, C Morrison, Madine (Mellor 46)

Substitutes: Jameson, Spurr, Potter, Heffernan

Wednesday Player

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.