Skip to main content


16:51 26th February 2011

Miller strike seals success

Sheffield Wednesday posted their first win under Gary Megson and ended a winless run spanning ten league games with a 1-0 victory over Carlisle.

Tommy Miller's first half strike proved the only goal of the game but the Owls were excellent value for the points, turning in a sound and confident display at Brunton Park.

Coming on the back of an impressive draw at promotion-chasing Bournemouth in midweek, this victory showed signs that Wednesday are well on the road to recovery after by far their worst spell of the season.

Possession was shared in a cagey opening to the contest and 15 minutes passed before ex-Carlisle striker Gary Madine headed the first chance over the crossbar.

Both sides had shots charged down as the goalkeepers were well protected by their defenders - until the 20th minute when the Owls stole into the lead.

Carlisle v Wednesday

Madine flicked on Tommy Spurr's corner and the ball fell kindly to Miller, who smashed home six yards from goal.

Clearly buoyed, the Owls began to boss the game, pushing the Cumbrians on to the back foot as the first half unfolded.

When Carlisle had the ball, they were up against a well-drilled, compact rearguard and had little joy in forging a way through.

The closest the hosts came to finding an equaliser came ten minutes before half time, when Ben Marshall cut inside from the left and curled a rising shot goalwards that brought a fine save from Nicky Weaver.

The game promptly reverted to type, though, and Carlisle keeper Adam Collin was almost caught out by a dipping cross from Spurr that he palmed to safety at full stretch.

Carlisle had to up the ante after the break while more of the same was required from a determined looking Wednesday, who introduced Darren Potter in place of Liam Palmer for the second period.

Carlisle v Wednesday

Greg Abbott's side enjoyed more of the ball and James Berrett saw a low shot from distance roll the wrong side of the post.

But the Owls continued to look dangerous and Teale went close with a rasping drive that flew over the bar.

Potter had two half chances, the second of which came after some sterling wing play from Teale, as Wednesday seemed far more likely to sealing the points than Carlisle did to earning one.

It was more of the same in the closing stages and the Owls finished the game firmly in the driving seat and with a welcome travelling triumph.

Carlisle: Collin, Simek, Livesey, Murphy, Robson, Taiwo, Zoko (Madden 67), Marshall, Curran (McKenna 79), Noble (Loy 57), Berrett

Unused substitutes: Borrowdale, Caig, Wells, Gbarssin

Owls: Weaver, Hinds, Johnson, Beevers, Spurr, Osbourne, Teale (Jones 86), Palmer (Potter 46), Miller, Sedgwick, Madine (C Morrison 69)

Unused substitutes: Jameson, M Morrison, Mellor, Heffernan

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.