Skip to main content


16:55 9th April 2011

Owls suffer Seagulls defeat

Runaway leaders Brighton edged closer to securing their promotion to the Championship with a 2-0 victory over the Owls on Saturday.

A first half penalty converted by Chris Wood gave the home side a 1-0 lead at the break.

And Brighton wrapped up the points on 73 minutes when Elliot Bennett thumped his effort from 25 yards into the top corner as the Seagulls maintain their unbeaten record on home soil this season.

It was an even first ten minutes at the sold-out Withdean Stadium with neither goalkeeper tested in the early exchanges.

Wood had the first sight of goal for the home side when Bennett's low centre picked out the striker but Jon Otsemobor was across quickly to make an important block.

Brighton went close again on 15 minutes, this time from wideman Craig Noone who saw his far post header saved by Richard O'Donnell and cleared away from danger by Danny Batth.

Lewis Buxton forced Casper Ankergren to make a good stop at the other end when the full back cut inside from the left and thumped his strike on target.

Brighton v Wednesday

Noone was looking a lively figure down the left flank and created another opening midway through the first half with a teasing cross that Batth cleared from inside the six yard box.

Seagull's captain Gordon Greer volleyed wide before the break from a corner as the hosts began to turn the screw.

The league-leaders did get their noses in front before half time when the referee awarded the home side a penalty for Batth's challenge on Glenn Murray.

Wood took full advantage, striking into the bottom corner beyond the outstretched hand of O'Donnell as Brighton went in at half time a goal to the good.

Dangerman Noone began the second period as he finished the first when the wideman dinked over a cross from left that almost gave Wood a tap in at the back stick.

Wednesday had to up the ante if they were to get back in the game and had a good chance from a corner which O'Brien fizzed into the area as Batth rose high but headed over the bar.

Noone again went close for Brighton as he blazed his strike wide before manager Gary Megson made a double substitution, introducing Gary Madine and Darren Potter to the action.

Moments after the change, Madine went close with a powerful header from Jon Otsemobor's cross which flew just wide of Ankergren's left post.

But Brighton made sure of the points with a superb strike from Bennett.

The midfielder latched onto a loose ball 25 yards from goal and picked out the top corner in stunning fashion to round off a good performance from the Seagulls.

There was late drama in the match as Brighton captain Greer saw red for violent conduct in the area as the Seagulls prepared to take a free kick.

But the game was brought to an end moments later as Brighton extend their unbeaten run at the Withdean this season.

Owls: O'Donnell, Otsemobor, Batth, R Johnson, Buxton, Sedgwick (Potter 67), O'Connor, O'Brien (Coke 61), J Johnson (Madine 67), Morrison, Mellor

Unused substitutes: Nicholls, Jones, Teale, Heffernan

Brighton: Akergren, Greer, El-Abd, Bennett, Calderon, Murray, Dicker, Painter, Bridcutt, Noone (Sparrow 76), Wood (Barnes 63)

Unused substitutes: Brezovan, Elphick, Navarro, Sandaza, Kishishev

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.