Skip to main content


16:53 16th April 2011

Owls ease past Hartlepool

The Owls posted their third home win on the trot as they comfortably beat Hartlepool at Hillsborough on Saturday.

Goals either side of half time from Tommy Miller and Gary Madine were enough to ensure Pools were beaten by Wednesday for the third time this season.

The North East side had already succumbed twice to the Owls in the league and Johnstone's Paint Trophy and this latest defeat clocked up an unwanted treble.

But Pools had little to offer against a Wednesday outfit determined to return to winning ways after last weekend's lacklustre reverse at leaders Brighton.

And the Owls made a bright start, dominating possession, although they had to wait until the 15-minute mark to trouble Scott Flinders in the Pools goal.

Jermaine Johnson was the catalyst, showing trademark pace and trickery to jink past three challenges before forcing Flinders into a diving save.

Owls v Hartlepool

Wednesday continued to ask most of the questions as Hartlepool rarely moved out of their own half and when they did, the visitors found themselves up against a well-drilled backline.

Madine and Neil Mellor worked hard at the other end leading the line, but there was little in terms of clear cut chances for the hosts.

And with half time approaching, everything pointed to a stalemate at the whistle - until the Owls were awarded a penalty on 45 minutes.

Hartlepool skipper Sam Collins tangled with Mellor and the outcome was a spot-kick that Miller dispatched to give the Owls the advantage.

The goal gave Wednesday a timely boost and they started the second half in confident style, with Mellor testing Flinders with a rising effort straight after the resumption.

Owls v Hartlepool

Mellor then went close with a deflected shot that dipped over the crossbar as the Owls threatened to double their lead.

And they did exactly that on 65 minutes through Madine following excellent work from Johnson down the right.

The Jamaican international showed two defenders a clean pair of heels before teeing up Madine, who shot low and hard Flinders in front of the Kop.

From that point on, Hartlepool looked a beaten side as Wednesday completely controlled proceedings, with the only surprise being that they failed to add a third.

Danny Batth came close with a close range header from Gary Teale's free kick but by then, three minutes from time, the points were safe to all but end any lingering fears of relegation.

Owls: O'Donnell, Otsemobor, Batth, R Jones, Buxton, Teale, Miller (Potter 60), O'Connor, J Johnson (Coke 68), Mellor (C Morrison 84), Madine

Unused substitutes: Nicholls, D Jones, Palmer, Heffernan

Hartlepool: Flinders, Collins, Horwood, Gamble, Boyd (Behan 65), Monkhouse, Yantorno, Sweeney, Haslam, Murray (Mackay 78), Hartley

Unused substitutes:
Rafferty, Humphreys, McSweeney, Larkin, Johnson

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.