Skip to main content


12:40 26th April 2011

Owls send Swindon down

Sheffield Wednesday posted their fourth home win on the bounce and condemned Swindon to relegation with a 3-1 success on Monday.

A Darren Potter strike and Neil Mellor's brace - taking the hitman to 20 goals this season - did the damage as the Owls showed no mercy on the struggling Robins.

Jonathan Douglas smashed the goal of the game for Swindon but that was as good as it got for the Wiltshire side, who will operate in the bottom tier next term.

Owls boss Gary Megson rang the changes, with Nicky Weaver, Reda Johnson, Daniel Jones, Potter and Jermaine Johnson all starting.

And the early impetus was with Wednesday as Mellor almost fashioned a dream start, side-footing just past the post after finding space inside the box.

Owls v Swindon

Swindon rallied briefly but fell behind to the Owls' next chance on 17 minutes. Mellor teed up Potter 20 yards from goal and the recalled midfielder drilled a blistering drive into the net with the aid of a slight deflection off Michael Rose.

The Robins needed a swift response and came close to exactly that when Matt Ritchie burst in on goal but the outrushing Weaver came to the rescue.

Then on 27 minutes, Wednesday doubled their lead to give Swindon real problems. Jon Otsemobor picked out Mellor with a delightful looped cross and the striker buried a cushioned header beyond Phil Smith.

Two down and staring down the barrel of League 2, the visitors had little choice but to throw caution to the wind and fired a double warning shot just past the half-hour mark.

Andy Frampton was a whisker away from getting a finishing touch to Lecsinel Jean-Francois' cross before the latter forced a fine save from Weaver after trying his luck from distance.

Owls v Swindon

And three minutes before half time, the Robins did halve the deficit. A corner was cleared to the edge of the penalty area, where skipper Douglas was waiting to execute a ferocious shot that flew past Weaver into the top corner.

Swindon came out apace after the interval but Wednesday broke and scored from their first attack on 53 minutes to all but put the game to bed.

Reda Johnson picked out Jermaine Johnson with a deep ball into the box and JJ forced a fine save from Smith. But the ball eventually found its way to Mellor, who stabbed home from close range to restore the Owls' two-goal advantage.

That goal knocked the stuffing from the Robins, who plugged away gamely but failed to ask any real questions of the Wednesday defence.

And at the other end, the Owls nearly applied a final coating of gloss when substitute Liam Palmer's low shot cannoned off Simon Ferry and was goalbound but Smith produced a reflex save to prevent an own goal that in the event would have been little more than academic.

Owls: Weaver, Otsemobor, R Jones, R Johnson, Buxton, J Johnson (Sedgwick 64), Potter, O'Connor, D Jones (Palmer 83), Madine (Miller 64), Mellor

Unused substitutes: O'Donnell, Teale, C Morrison, Heffernan

Swindon: Smith, Caddis, Frampton (Cuthbert 37), Francois, Rose, Douglas, Ferry, N'Diaye (Andrew 78) Prutton, Benyon (Bodin 71), Ritchie

Unused substitutes: Jesionkowski, Sheehan, McGovern, Timlin

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.