Skip to main content


18:03 7th May 2011

Owls hit by late double

Sheffield Wednesday went down to Exeter City by the odd goal in three on the final day of the 2010-11 season.

Jermaine Johnson gave the Owls a first half lead with a stunning effort but Daniel Nardiello equalised late in the contest to give the Grecians the platform for victory, which Troy Archibald-Hanville secured two minutes from time.

Prior to kick-off, the Owls' matchday squad gave their appreciation to the magnificent support that has followed Wednesday far and wide this season.

The cracking atmosphere spilled over into the game as the host were out to register an early goal.

And it almost arrived from midfield man James O'Connor, who aimed to bend his shot into the far corner but Exeter keeper Artur Krysiak made a fine diving save to push the strike wide.

But the goal did come and in some style from Johnson after 13 minutes.

In typical JJ style, the Jamaican picked up possession and breezed past a number of Grecians defenders before firing an unstoppable drive into the top corner.

Owls v Exeter

Exeter rarely troubled Wednesday in the early exchanges, with Jamie Cureton's dragged shot wide the best the visitors could muster.

The Owls were beginning to turn the screw as the half transpired. A quick break led by Neil Mellor left Exeter stretched at the back but Gary Madine's eventual effort was snuffed out for a corner.

The resulting flag kick, played short to Johnson, saw the midfielder use tricky footwork again outside the area but his strike flew just wide of Krysiak's left hand upright.

O'Connor had another chance when a neat Johnson pull back sat up nicely for the Irishman to strike first time which brought another fine stop from the Grecians' custodian.

Bertrand Cozic came close to an equaliser when his fierce strike was headed over by Jon Otsemobor before Mellor had a golden chance at the other end.

Madine's cushioned header back into the middle fell to Lewis Buxton, who saw his half volley from six yards saved by Krysiak.

The rebound sat up nicely for Mellor but Exeter defender Richard Duffy made a superb goal line clearance to deny the striker his 21st goal of the season.

There was a fast tempo and pace about the game after the restart and Nardiello had a great chance to draw his side level when his shot from eight yards took a deflection off Rob Jones and looped on to the post before Nicky Weaver scooped the ball away from danger.

Owls v Exeter

But Wednesday broke forward quickly as Johnson's feed sent Mellor scampering in on goal but Krysiak was out quickly to smother the ball out for a corner.

A marauding run by Buxton down the left created an opening for the defender to shoot but his effort blazed high over the Kop net before Exeter got themselves back into the game.

Nardiello was the man who restored parity with 15 minutes left on the clock when the striker picked up possession inside the area and slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

And Exeter then fired a late winner to wrap up the points. Archibald-Henville danced through the Owls backline and placed past Weaver in front of the travelling fans, who departed Hillsborough with a League 1 double over their hosts.

Owls: Weaver (O'Donnell 90), Otsemobor, R Jones (D Jones 69), Batth, Buxton, Teale (Potter 73), Miller, O'Connor, J Johnson, Mellor, Madine

Unused substitutes: R Johnson, Sedgwick, Palmer, C Morrison

Exeter: Krysiak, Tully, Duffy, Dunne (Tisdale 89), Archibald-Henville, Harley, Nardiello (Taylor 88), Golbourne, Cureton, Cozic (Nicholls 46), Sercombe

Unused substitutes: Edwards, Jones, Logan, Shephard

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.