Skip to main content


22:38 15th February 2011

Ten-man Owls beaten at Tranmere

Ten-man Wednesday went down 3-0 against Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park on Tuesday.

Lateef Elford-Alliyu headed the home side in front on 59 minutes, before which Wednesday were rarely troubled.

Worse was to come four minutes after that setback as Giles Coke was shown a straight red card for a mistimed challenge on Rovers captain John Welsh.

From the resulting free kick, the home side doubled their lead as Ian Goodison prodded home from Aaron Cresswell's cross and to round off a bad day at the office, former Owl Enoch Showunmi drilled home a late volley to seal victory.

The Owls made five changes at Prenton Park. Aston Villa loanee Isaiah Osbourne made his first start in midfield while Tommy Spurr, Reda Johnson, Gary Teale and Gary Madine were all recalled to the starting line-up.

Tranmere v Owls

There was a good tempo to the early exchanges and it was Wednesday that created the first opening as Coke's corner was met by Madine, who directed a firm header just over the bar.

The Owls enjoyed some good early possession in Tranmere's half throughout the opening ten minutes, albeit without creating any clear cut chances.

Tranmere had their first sight at goal when Aaron Cresswell swung in a dangerous cross from the left which had too much pace for the onrushing Joss Labadie before Lucas Akins drilled into the side netting at the back post.

Tranmere v Owls

Wednesday were swiftly back on the front foot as Spurr skipped past a number of challenges then found Teale on the right who delivered a testing cross that was well defended with Madine set to pounce at the back post.

Teale was at the heart of the next move when the winger cut in from the right to drive a low ball into Clinton Morrison, who hit first time but Tranmere had plenty of defenders back to close down the strike.

The visitors were out of the blocks quickly after the break as Coke tried his luck from 20 yards, shooting just over the bar.

Tranmere v Owls

Then came a moment of madness from Tranmere at the back that almost gifted the Owls the lead.

A lack of communication between Rovers keeper Tony Warner and defender Mark McChrystal saw the former blast his clearance straight into his team mate which almost presented Clinton Morrison with a chance but the ball drifted out for a corner - despite claims that the striker was being held back by Warner.

Then, from the resulting flag kick, Madine came within a whisker of heading the Owls in front as the striker rose high from Coke's corner.

But Wednesday were hit with a sucker punch from the next attack and Tranmere edged their way in front with a goal from Elford-Alliyu.

Welsh's curled cross from the right was met with a downward header from Elford-Alliyu and the ball nestled into the back of the net.

Things got much worse for Wednesday just after the hour mark as Coke saw red for a mistimed challenge on Welsh and from the free kick, Tranmere went 2-0 up.

Cresswell whipped in the set piece from the right hand side for Goodison to prod home from close range.

Tranmere were clearly buoyed by their two-goal lead and extra man advantage and came close to a third but the Owls had Nicky Weaver to thank for a smart save from Elford-Alliyu.

With ten minutes remaining, the home side profited from a long ball into the box which fell to Showunmi, who thumped a half volley into the net to round off a miserable away day for Wednesday.

Tranmere: Warner, Cresswell, Goodison, McChrystal, Showunmi, Welsh, Taylor, Kay, Labadie, Akins, Elford-Alliyu

Unused substitutes: Cathalina, Robinson, Weir, Collister, Wood, Bakayogo, McGurk

Owls: Weaver, Spurr, R Johnson, M Morrison, Reynolds (Jones 79), Teale (Heffernan 68), Osbourne, O'Connor, Coke, C Morrison, Madine

Unused substitutes: Jameson, Hinds, Beevers, Sedgwick, Mellor

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.