Skip to main content


21:34 22nd February 2011

Wednesday make Bournemouth point

Wednesday gained a point from their trip to high-flying Bournemouth but perhaps deserved more than a 0-0 draw after an impressive performance at Dean Court.

Gary Megson's men were largely on the front foot throughout the whole of the first period but Bournemouth had the best chance of the match after the break as Michael Symes put his penalty wide.

But the Owls' clean sheet was merited and the much-improved performance will give plenty of encouragement to Megson ahead of Saturday's trip to Carlisle.

Wednesday made a bright start under the floodlights at Dean Court and could have taken the lead inside five minutes.

A Gary Teale cross from the right picked out Chris Sedgwick, who saw his deflected shot fall into the path of Isaiah Osbourne but the later drilled his low effort straight at goalkeeper Schwan Jalal.

Wednesday continued on the front foot and the six changes made by Gary Megson were working well in the early stages. Osbourne had another chance after 15 minutes but his shot from close range was ushered wide for a corner.

Bournemouth v Owls

The Owls were rarely troubled as the first half unfolded, with the best of Bournemouth's few chances falling to Symes but his tame shot was smothered by Nicky Weaver.

Wednesday, without doubt, looked the hungrier of the two sides and Chris Sedgwick's tricky footwork gave the midfielder an opening to centre from the right which Madine met with a header that was saved by Jalal.

With the first half drawing to a close, the Owls stayed in the ascendancy after limiting Bournemouth to very little in the final third.

Wednesday had one final chance to take the lead before the break with Madine spearheading an Owls counter attack before feeding the ball into Palmer, who was closed out by the Bournemouth defence.

The Owls were quickly out of the blocks for the second half as Madine played a neat through-ball into the path of Palmer who raced towards goal before unleashing a fierce drive that Jalal tipped over the crossbar.

The home side then had a golden chance to take the lead from the penalty spot.

Reda Johnson's challenge on Symes saw the referee award the Cherries a spot kick and it was Symes himself who stepped up to take the penalty, but the striker side-footed wide of Weaver's left hand post.

It was turning into an entertaining league encounter as both sides pressed but just after the hour, Miller was denied by a superb save from Jalal.

Bournemouth v Owls

The midfielder side-footed on target from Spurr's cross but the Cherries keeper was down quickly to make a smart save from seven yards.

Then came a big moment in the game as Bournemouth rattled the upright on 65 minutes.

Pugh's clever corner picked out Shaun Cooper 25 yards out and the defender's first-time drive came crashing back off the post, as Wednesday were able to clear through Miller.

The Owls continued to threaten Bournemouth and Sedgwick was next to test Jalal on 75 minutes but his low angled shot from inside the 18-yard box was well saved by the keeper.

But 0-0 was how it finished as both sides shared the spoils with a much-improved display from the Owls in front of an impressive away following of almost 800 fans from Sheffield.

Bournemouth: Jalal, Smith, Ings (Stockley 80), Pugh (Arter 90), Wiggins, Symes (Flecther 80), Cooper, Robinson, Pearce, Hollands, Feeney

Unused substitutes: Stewart, Purches, Partington, Baudry,

Owls: Weaver, Hinds, Beevers, R Johnson, Spurr, Osbourne, Teale, Miller, Palmer (O'Connor 80), Sedgwick, Madine

Unused substitutes: Jameson, Jones, , Potter, Mellor, C Morrison, Heffernan

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.