Skip to main content


21:39 5th April 2011

Owls ease past Tranmere

A scintillating first half display saw Wednesday safely overcome Tranmere at Hillsborough on Tuesday.

Goals from skipper Tommy Miller either side of a Gary Madine strike did the damage as the rampant Owls posted their second win in four days.

Neil Mellor added a fourth at the death to ensure that Wednesday head to league leaders Brighton on Saturday with renewed confidence.

Colchester were beaten last weekend in S6 and Tranmere followed suit, with the Owls off to the perfect start as Miller's strike on nine minutes opened the floodgates.

Gary Teale broke down the right and planted an accurate cross to the back post for Mellor to nod back across goal and feed Miller, who applied the finishing touch from six yards.

Owls v Tranmere

On 15 minutes, it was two. Mellor again was the architect, this time sending Madine scampering in on goal with a deft through-ball and the former Carlisle man buried comfortably across Tony Warner to double Wednesday's lead.

The Owls continued to press and duly added another on 22 minutes. Jermaine Johnson sent Mellor into space down the left side of the penalty area and Michael Kay upended the in-form striker.

The referee pointed to the spot and up stepped Miller to double his tally from the penalty spot.

With a comfortable cushion, Wednesday played out the second part of the first half in cruise control and Rovers looked a beaten side at the interval.

Only a monumental effort from Tranmere would have threatened the home side's dominance but it was the Owls that threatened first after the break when Danny Batth went close with a close range header before Madine flicked into the hands of Warner from the resulting corner.

The danger from the Owls' perspective was the one-sided nature of the game led to occasional vulnerability on the counter, as was evidenced on the hour when John Welsh prodded over the bar when Tranmere captain might have done better.

Gary Megson introduced Chris Sedgwick and Joey O'Brien midway through the half to boost his side's attacking threat and the move almost paid dividends.

Sedgwick played a delightful through-ball into the path of Mellor, who duly slotted home, but the hitman's celebrations were cut short by the linesman's flag.

Johnson stung the hands of Warner with a blistering drive from distance as the clock ran down and Wednesday finished the contest just how they started it - firmly in the box seat.

With one minute to go, Mellor latched on to a hopeful ball down the channel and rounded the advancing Warner before placing a cracking strike from an acute angle into the back of the Kop net and round off a convincing home success.

Owls: O'Donnell, Otsemebor, R Johnson, Batth, Buxton, Teale (Sedgwick 67), O'Connor, Miller (O'Brien 67), J Johnson, Madine (C Morrison 84), Mellor

Unused substitutes:
Nicholls, D Jones, Coke, Potter

Warner, Cresswell, McChrystal, Showunmi, Welsh, Weir (Akins 78), Taylor, Kay, Jennings (McGurk 39), Bakayogo, Labadie

Unused substitutes: Collister, Mahon, Wood, Fraughan, Blanchard

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.