Skip to main content


16:52 13th August 2011

Owls sunk by the sea

Wednesday went down to their first defeat of the new campaign with a 2-0 reverse at Bournemouth.

Adam Barrett's first half header and a low strike from Harry Arter late in the game proved the difference through a contest of few chances which the Owls shaded on possession but struggled to impact on the final third.

Going into the game on the back of two successive wins, Wednesday set off well on the south coast, enjoying the better of the ball through the early throes.

Liam Palmer sent a rising shot over the crossbar ten minutes in but the hosts soon responded with Marc Pugh's free kick that curled narrowly wide.

Neither side could stamp any real authority on the contest as a tepid first half unfolded.

The first opportunity of note fell to Wednesday after some good work from Palmer, who played Clinton Morrison in down the left side of the penalty area but the striker sidefooted just wide of the post.

Bournemouth v Owls

Lyle Taylor saw a snapshot deflected over the bar at the other end before Ryan Doble poked a half chance the same way.

That burst then set up Bournemouth for the opener six minutes before half time.

Byrne swung a deep corner to the far post and skipper Barrett climbed the highest to power a firm header past Nicky Weaver.

The Owls had a more purposeful look about them after the break and came close to levelling minutes after the restart when Jose Semedo headed over Lewis Buxton's chipped cross.

Gary Megson introduced new recruit Chris Lines on the hour and Wednesday continued to have the upper hand.

Buxton got to the byline again on 65 minutes and fed Madine, whose glancing header flashed wide.

Bournemouth v Owls

Bournemouth broke, though, and almost doubled their lead but for some stout defending from Rob Jones.

Weaver let slip a deep cross that was seized by Liam Feeney and the midfielder's shot was bound for goal until captain Jones headed clear from the line.

With the clock ticking down, the Owls pressed on, with the danger of the Cherries striking on the counter - which they duly did on 82 minutes.

Feeney fed an advancing Arter in the area and the Bournemouth substitute drilled a hard low shot into the back of the net to secure victory.

Bournemouth: Flahavan, Malone, Cooper, Taylor (Fletcher 88), Feeney, Pugh, Barrett, Byrne, Molesley (Arter 66) Gregory (Baudry 89), Doble

Unused substitutes: Jalal, Purches

Owls: Weaver, Buxton, Batth, R Jones, Bennett (O'Connor 80), Palmer, Prutton, Semedo (Otsemobor 75), Sedgwick (Lines 58), Madine, Morrison

Unused substitutes: O'Donnell, R Johnson

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.