Skip to main content


16:55 29th October 2011

Owls seal Wycombe win

Sheffield Wednesday returned to winning ways on the road with a 2-1 win over League 1 strugglers Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park.

The Owls, who dominated large parts of the game went ahead midway through the first half through Jose Semedo before Wycombe youngster Jordan Ibe levelled six minutes later.

Ryan Lowe restored Wednesday's advantage ten minutes before the interval - scoring his first goal for the Owls.

The home side had to see out the final 15 minutes with ten men when Gareth Ainsworth saw red for a second bookable offence.

Owls boss Gary Megson made two changes for the trip to Buckinghamshire with Mark Reynolds and Lowe both in the starting line-up.

The visitors made a fast start to the proceedings and had a shout for a penalty inside the opening minute when Ben Marshall's strike appeared to be blocked by the hands of defender Grant Basey.

Wednesday continued to ask most of the early questions as Chris Lines tested goalkeeper Nikki Bull on 14 minutes.

A smart piece of link-up play between Chris O'Grady and Lines gave the latter a sight at goal but the midfielder's effort was tipped around the post.

Lowe was next to bring a save from Bull as the Owls began to turn the screw midway through the first half.

A Wednesday goal seemed inevitable and it duly arrived after 23 minutes through Semedo.

Lowe's shot from inside the area on the left came crashing back off the upright but the Portuguese midfielder was on hand to finish superbly into the top corner.

But the lead only lasted six minutes before Wanderers responded with a goal of their own at the other end.

Promising youngster Ibe showed a quick turn of pace down the middle and blasted home to level the contest - becoming the club's youngest-ever goalscorer at 15-years-old.

Ryan Lowe

That setback brought about a terrific response from Megson's men who restored their lead on 35 minutes, with Lowe grabbing his first goal in a Wednesday shirt.

A delightfully weighted ball into the box from Semedo picked out the unmarked Lowe at the back stick who placed his header back across Bull and into the back of the net.

Wednesday had another penalty claim waived away when Lewis Buxton was seemingly brought down in the area by Kadeem Harris who was fortunate to see just a goal kick awarded.

The Owls began the second period brightly and had a goal chalked off six minutes after the resumption.

Marshall's chipped ball into the six yard box was headed home by O'Grady from close range but the offside flag was raised and the goal did not stand.

O'Grady was proving a real handful for Wycombe's backline as the big striker used his strength to work an opening inside the 18 yard box, with his effort flashing just wide of the angle.

Marshall almost put the game beyond doubt when his free kick rattled the crossbar as Rob Jones headed over from the resulting corner.

With just one goal in the game, the contest was far from over with Ibe firing over the bar from 20 yards.

Wycombe's hopes of grabbing an equaliser were dealt a major blow on 74 minutes when captain Ainsworth picked up his second booking of the game for a lunging challenge on Danny Batth.

Marshall once again went close after a quick burst upfield gave the winger time to line up a strike but Bull was able to make a comfortable save.

Jones went close at the death with a powerful header that flew just over the bar but that was the last action of note as Wednesday posted a solid win away from home.

Wycombe: Bull, Foster (Grant 80), Basey, Tunnicliffe, Winfield, Ainsworth, Rowlands, Lewis, Harris, Ibe, Beavon

Substitutes: Johnson, Bloomfield, Strevens, McCoy

Owls: Bywater, Buxton, Batth, Jones (Bennett 90), Reynolds, Marshall, Semedo, Lines, O'Connor, O'Grady, Lowe (Morrison 76)

Substitutes: O'Donnell, J Johnson, Palmer

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.