Skip to main content


16:57 5th November 2011

Owls held at Hillsborough

Sheffield Wednesday were held to a goalless draw by Brentford at Hillsborough on Saturday.

In what was a largely frustrating afternoon for Wednesday, the visitors were able to hold on for a point in S6 - ending the Owls' winning run on home soil.

Wednesday boss Gary Megson stuck with the same starting eleven that posted three points away at Wycombe seven days ago.

It was the Bees who fired the first warning shot of the contest inside the opening minute when Sam Saunders' free kick picked out Gary Alexander who headed just over the bar.

But Wednesday responded immediately and almost took the lead with a delightful volley from James O'Connor.

The midfielder kept his eye on a hanging ball in the area and connected sweetly with a bicycle kick, bringing an equally impressive save from Richard Lee.

The early attacking impetus was with the visitors as Saunders saw his free kick from distance pushed around the post and out for a corner.

But as the home side began to settle into their stride, Rob Jones had a great chance to put the Owls ahead on 16 minutes.

Ben Marshall was the architect down the left, as the winger floated in an inviting cross to the back stick but Jones couldn't direct his header on target.

Brentford's dangerman Saunders was looking lively and went close midway through the first half but dragged his shot wide after a quick burst down the centre of the park.

Brentford could, and perhaps should, have gone into the lead ten minutes before the interval with two quickfire golden opportunities.

Firstly, Miguel Llera headed onto the crossbar from another Saunders set piece, before Clayton Donaldson put Craig Woodman's centre over the Kop net with a miss-timed header.

Those near-misses sparked the Owls into life as Marshall was denied the opening goal of the game by a terrific save from Lee, who was down quick to keep out the strike.

Danny Batth then saw his header from Marshall's corner deflected wide before Chris Lines' half volley was closed down by plenty of bodies back in Brentford's 18 yard box.

Wednesday came out of the traps fast in the second half and put the visitors under heavy pressure with Chris O'Grady and Marshall both going close.

The Owls had certainly upped the ante and created a terrific opening six minutes after the restart when Lewis Buxton got in behind the Bees backline, but his low driven cross just evaded Ryan Lowe in the centre.

It seemed the Owls' second half pressure had paid off on 70 minutes when Jones connected with Marshall's corner from close range, but Brentford managed to keep the ball from crossing the line to further frustrate Wednesday.

With the scores locked at 0-0, Niall McGinn's first time strike in the area was blocked by Jones as Bywater was able to smother the loose ball in the six yard box.

As the clock was ticking down, Wednesday continued to launch attack after attack on Brentford's goal.

But the Owls had to settle for a point on this occasion, remaining third in the League 1 table.

Owls: Bywater, Buxton, Jones, Batth, Reynolds, Marshall, Lines (Palmer 46), Semedo (Morrison 67, O'Connor (J Johnson 50), O'Grady, Lowe

Unused substitutes: O'Donnell, Bennett

Brentford: Lee, O'Connor, Woodman, Eger, Saunders (Weston 73), Douglas, Donaldson, McGinn (Logan 86), Diagouraga, Llera, Alexander (Bean 79)

Unused substitute: Devlin, Grella

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.