Skip to main content


18:49 14th January 2012

Owls edged out by Charlton

Sheffield Wednesday suffered their first home defeat of the season as League 1 leaders Charlton strengthened their grip at the summit with a 1-0 win.

Johnnie Jackson's first half goal proved the difference and although the Owls had a goal disallowed and numerous half chances, it was not their day and the Addicks emerged triumphant.

Gary Madine was thrust straight back into action for Wednesday following a two-month injury lay-off.

Madine, sidelined since mid-November with a broken toe, was central to the Owls' early-season ascent up the division as the hitman averaged almost a goal a game.

And his input might have had a crucial impact on proceedings, right on the half time whistle with Wednesday trailing Jackson's opener.

Swivelling to convert Reda Johnson's flicked header from a Ben Marsall throw-in, the big striker wheeled away to celebrate only to see the goal ruled out for offside.

Had Wednesday drawn level at that key stage, the outcome may have been different but it was not to be on a frustrating afternoon for the home side.

Owls v Charlton

Gary Megson handed an immediate debut to new recruit Mike Jones, who with Marshall formed a two-pronged attack down the channels in this the final game of the latter's loan stint at Hillsborough.

Both widemen enjoyed good early touches but the first shot of the contest came at the other end when Bradley Wright-Phillips brought a comfortable near-post save from ex-Charlton keeper Nicky Weaver.

The majority of the offensive play thereafter was Wednesday's and they came close just past the 15-minute mark when Chris O'Grady slipped his marker down the left and played a cross ball into Chris Lines, whose shot was deflected to safety.

But Charlton arrived in S6 boasting the best away record in the country and despite the Owls' earlier promise, showed exactly why on 28 minutes with the decisive goal.

The Londoners won a free kick 20 yards out and up stepped skipper Jackson to curl a wonderful angled drive beyond the reach of Weaver and into the top corner.

Wednesday responded with Lines warming the gloves of Ben Hamer from distance before Johnson headed on target without testing the Addicks' custodian.

Owls v Charlton

Madine did manage to beat Hamer in first half stoppage time but not the linesman's flag and the visitors headed down the tunnel a goal to the good.

That lead could have doubled just four minutes into the second half as Wright-Phillips burst through on goal but Weaver came to the rescue with a fine save after advancing swiftly from his line.

Wednesday responded with Rob Jones twice going close from Marshall corners and O'Grady thumped a long-ranger over the crossbar.

Indeed, on numerous occasions the Owls advanced dangerously in the final third but the Charlton defence held strong without looking under any real threat.

Ryan Lowe and Clinton Morrison came on for Wednesday but the ball just would not drop - Morrison had a header cleared off the line at the death - and the Addicks returned to the capital having put the first dent in the S6 fortress.

Wednesday: Weaver, Otsemobor, R Jones, Batth, R Johnson, M Jones (Lowe 64), Semedo, Lines, Marshall (Morrison 74), O'Grady, Madine (Llera 64)

Unused substitutes: Bywater, Prutton

Charlton: Hamer, Jackson, Morrison, Taylor, Green (Russell 72), Wright-Phillips (Clarke 75), Wiggins, Pritchard (Cort 90), Solly, Hollands, Kermorgant

Unused substitutes:
Sullivan, Stephens

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.