Skip to main content


16:52 10th March 2012

Owls ease past Bournemouth

Sheffield Wednesday continued their excellent start under new manager Dave Jones with a convincing 3-0 win over Bournemouth at Hillsborough.

Fresh from thrashing Bury 4-1 in midweek, the Owls continued where they left off, storming into a 3-0 lead inside 11 minutes.

Danny Batth set the ball rolling before a Miles Addison own goal doubled the advantage. In-form Michail Antonio then bagged the goal of the game to effectively put the contest out of the Cherries' reach even at that early juncture.

And there was no way back for Lee Bradbury's side as counterpart Jones and his team took the points.

Bournemouth arrived in S6 having lost four on the spin and any prospect of reversing that slide were all but over after that explosive Wednesday start.

Antonio forced a fine diving save from Darryl Flahavan in the fourth minute and from the resulting corner, the ball fell to the on-loan Reading winger, who beat his man down the right and sent in a low cross for Batth to convert in front of the Kop.

The Cherries responded briefly with Scott Malone flashing a shot wide from the left angle of the penalty area before Mike Jones went close with a deflected effort at the other end.

And Wednesday kept the pressure on to go two up on nine minutes.

Chris Lines floated a whipped corner to the back post and Rob Jones headed into the danger zone where the ball struck the unfortunate Addison and crept over the line.

The misery continued for the Cherries as they conceded a third on 11 minutes.

Owls v Bournemouth

Little seemed on for Antonio when he picked up possession on the right touchline but the pacey wideman man promptly nipped between two defenders and drilled an unstoppable drive into the roof of the net.

The inevitable lull duly arrived and the shell-shocked visitors sought an avenue back into the game.

And they came close to finding it just before the half-hour mark when Wes Fogden smashed over from six yards following a teasing Malone cross.

That stirred Wednesday and Lines delivered a curling free kick goalwards that Flahavan did well to parry to safety.

Wesley Thomas broke free for Bournemouth moments later and Stephen Bywater came to the Owls' rescue with a smart save to deny the bustling striker.

Bywater was beaten, though, just before the interval when Thomas turned inside the area and hit a thumping drive that struck the inside of the post and rebounded across the six-yard box with no one on hand to apply the finish.

Owls v Bournemouth

Bournemouth had little choice but to come out on the front foot in the second half and this they did, albeit without troubling the Owls' backline.

Space opened for Wednesday as a result which Ryan Lowe exploited on the hour but the hitman was denied by Flahavan and Mike Jones saw a reflex header from the rebound diverted.

Thomas flashed a snaphot wide midway through the second period and the longer the game went on without the south coast side scoring, the result was inevitable.

And so it proved as the closing stages passed as a matter of course and incident-free - save Bywater denying Addison at the death from six yards - with all the damage done in that opening and decisive first 11 minutes.

Bywater, Buxton, Batth, R Jones, Bennett, M Jones, Semedo, Lines, Antonio, Madine, Lowe (Morrison 77)

Unused substitutes: Jameson, Llera, Prutton, O'Grady

Bournemouth: Flahavan, Cook, Thomas (Stockley 71), Malone, Fogden, Francis, Daniels, McDonald, McDermott, Addison, Gregory

Unused substitutes: Cooper, Tubbs, Baudry, Zubar

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.