Skip to main content


10:13 29th May 2012

Sheffield Wednesday ensured the battle for automatic promotion will go down to the final day of the season after a 2-1 win at Brentford on Saturday.

Keith Treacy struck a fine free kick in the first half from an almost impossible angle before Clayton Donaldson levelled for the hosts from the spot soon after the interval.

But five minutes after the Bees restored parity, Miguel Llera nodded the Owls back into the lead in front of the sold out following from Sheffield.

Owls boss Dave Jones made one change from lastweekend's 2-1 triumph over Carlisle, with Treacy starting in place of Jermaine Johnson.

Wednesday made an attacking start in the pouring rain at Griffin Park as Llera saw an early header comfortably saved by Simon Moore.

Brentford, who needed a win to keep alive their slim hopes of reaching the play-offs, quickly launched an attack of their own.

Donaldson showed neat skill from the wide left position before cutting back for Jonathan Douglas who struck wide from 20 yards.

The home side then created a golden chance to take an early lead on ten minutes.

Jake Bidwell whipped in a dangerous ball from the left but Karleigh Osborne couldn't get the ball out of his feet from four yards, as Stephen Bywater was able to gather.

The Bees were looking lively midway through the first half and Bywater was forced into making a key save from Harry Forrester, who skipped past two challenges before shooting on target from close range.

The attacking edge was with Brentford who almost took the lead once again but for the width of the crossbar.

Another fine ball in from Forrester landed perfectly for Douglas, whose effort cannoned back off the upright before Wednesday took the lead from the very next attack.

While everyone in the Bees' penalty area expected a cross into the area, Treacy had other ideas and managed to curl his strike into the bottom corner from an almost impossible angle.

Keith Treacy

Sam Saunders tested Bywater early in the second half but the Owls keeper saved comfortably.

And Bywater was to thank again for preserving the Owls' one-goal advantage, after producing a top drawer diving save to tip Donaldson's strike wide of the target.

Then disaster struck for Wednesday when Mark Beevers' challenge on Donaldson resulted in a penalty for the Bees, and the same man stepped up to convert the spot kick.

But undeterred from that set back, the Owls restored their advantage through in-form stopper Llera.

The Spaniard met Treacy's flag kick with a well-timed header that nestled into the back of the net to delight of the 1,800 Wednesday contingent behind the goal.

Saunders' free kick from the left dangerously flashed across goal before Bywater denied Toumani Diagouraga one on one, closing down the angle for the big midfield man.

The Owls had to see out four minutes of added time to hold on to the hugely significant victory at Griffin Park - and it was mission complete as the automatic promotion battle will be decided on the final day of the season.

Brentford: Moore, Balkestein (Bean 81), Saunders, Douglas, Donaldson, Logan (Norris 81), Forrester (McGinn75), Diagouraga, Osbourne, Bidwell, Dean

Unused substitutes: Thompson, Legge

Owls: Bywater, Buxton, Batth, Llera, Beevers (D Jones 64), Antonio (J Johnson 67), Lines, Semedo, Treacy (O'Grady 82), Ranger, Madine

Unused substitutes: Weaver, Lowe

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.