Skip to main content


22:36 11th August 2011

Owls seal shootout success

Sheffield Wednesday booked their place in the second round of the Carling Cup, beating ten-man Blackpool on penalties at Hillsborough.

After 120 minutes of play, the tie went to a shootout and Richard O'Donnell got Wednesday off to a flying start, saving from Billy Clarke.

Liam Palmer, Jon Otsemobor, Clinton Morrison and James O'Connor all saw their penalties hit the back of the net to put the Owls in round two.

Ashley Eastham had earlier been sent off on 77 minutes for a reckless challenge on Mark Reynolds in an otherwise even clash in S6.

Gary Megson made ten changes from the side that picked up a 2-0 win over Rochdale in League 1 on Saturday.

With Ian Holloway also shuffling his pack, both sides had an unfamiliar look and the early exchanges saw no real threat at goal, save Clarke dragging a half chance wide of the target after 15 minutes.

Wednesday's new loan recruit Danny Uchechi was looking lively in his debut for Wednesday at the other end and almost profited from Daniel Jones' whipped ball into the box from the left but couldn't get the necessary purchase on his diving header.

Another Jones cross created more problems in the visitors' 18-yard box when Blackpool keeper Mark Halstead misjudged the flight of the ball, but his blushes were spared with enough defenders back to clear the danger.

That was before Seasiders' skipper Neil Eardley had perhaps the best chance of the opening period on the half-hour mark.

Clarke's clever low centre into the area picked out the Tangerines' defender, whose half volley whistled just wide of O'Donnell's right-hand post.

After an even start to the second period it Blackpool who threatened first when Angel Martinez' long ball found Craig Sutherland in the area but O'Donnell made a comfortable stop from the striker.

Halstead had to be alert moments later when Reynolds' cross from deep was inadvertently directed goalwards by defender Rob Harris before Sutherland missed a golden chance to break the deadlock.

The striker had beaten the offside trap and with only O'Donnell to beat, the Owls' keeper was able to make a comfortable stop from Sutherland's tame side-footer.

Sutherland was at heart of the visitor's next attack as his low centre picked out Clarke who had the whole of the net to aim at from six yards but placed his shot wide with the goal gaping.

Blackpool were reduced to ten men after 77 minutes when Eastham's late lunging challenge on Reynolds saw the former issued with a straight red.

Palmer went close with a rasping drive from distance seven minutes from time before neat link up play from Morrison and Giles Coke saw the latter's first time shot kept out by Halstead.

After a quiet opening to the first period of extra time, both sides had chances in front of goal.

Blackpool substitute Tom Barhuizen's effort flashed wide of the target before O'Connor's daisy cutter flew just wide of the Leppings Lane net.

With time ticking down on a shoot out, Cecil Nyoni was inches away from scoring a decisive goal as the midfielder steered his first time effort from Reynold's cross wide of the left hand upright.

O'Donnell was called into action five minutes before the end of extra time, making an outstanding one-handed save from Barkhuizen to keep the score level.

Eardley's late surge into the area was halted by a superb last ditch tackle from Beevers and that was it from open play as the cup-tie headed into a shootout.

And Wednesday were off to a flyer in the spot kicks as O'Donnell saved smartly from Clarke before Eardley blazed way over Kop net.

Successful penalties from Palmer, Otsemobor, Morrison and O'Connor saw Wednesday safely into the next round.

Owls: O'Donnell, Otsemobor, Beevers, R Johnson, Reynolds, Nyoni, Coke, O'Connor, D Jones (Palmer 71), Madine (Morrison 46), Uchechi (Tumulty 61)

Unused substitutes: Weaver, Batth, Semedo, Prutton

Blackpool: Halstead, Eardley, Clarke, Sylvestre, Basham (Llera 83), Hill, Eastham, Sutherland (Bruna 91), Martinez, Harris, Ince (Barkhuizen 83)

Unused substitutes: Bignot, Tomsett, Djordjic, Kettings

Attendance 5,240
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.