Skip to main content


14:54 26th February 2012

O'Grady seals derby day success

Sheffield Wednesday took the honours in the Steel City derby at Hillsborough on Sunday with a 1-0 victory over Sheffield United.

Chris O'Grady was the man of the moment as the striker headed home the only goal of the game after the break, getting on the end of an accurate cross from Lewis Buxton.

The bursting crowd at Hillsborough were treated to an exciting affair as Wednesday posted three vital points to move within two points of the Blades.

The atmosphere at Hillsborough was electric as the Owls got the game underway at 1.00pm, kicking towards the Kop.

It was the visitors from S2 who carved the first opening inside five minutes.

Matt Lowton darted into the area from the right before teeing up Richard Cresswell, whose improvised strike was saved by Stephen Bywater from close range.

A Wednesday corner presented the Owls with their first chance of the afternoon as Chris Lines fizzed his flag kick into the area, picking out Reda Johnson who headed over the bar.

The lively early pace was well-received by the capacity crowd at Hillsborough as United went within inches of taking the lead after 16 minutes.

Lee Williamson's free kick from 20 yards came cannoning back off the upright before Bywater was able to gather from the rebound, with Cresswell lurking inside the six yard box.

But back came Wednesday and new recruit Michail Antonio, who sent in dangerous low ball into the area that was just too far ahead of Ryan Lowe to make a connection at the back post.

Lines then saw his well-struck free kick stopped by Steve Simonsen before O'Grady couldn't quite adjust his body to have a shot from David Prutton's rebounded strike.

Ched Evans' snap-shot volley from 30 yards drifted harmlessly wide before the referee brought an end to a lively first half at Hillsborough, with the deadlock yet to be broken.

Antonio began the second half as he finished the first, causing United problems down the right channel as the winger deliveredan inviting cross into the area which O'Grady headed wide.

O'Grady then used all his strength and determination to win the ball in midfield before bursting upfield and striking just wide of Simonsen's left hand post.

Wednesday then made the first change of the afternoon with Gary Madine replacing Ryan Lowe on the hour-mark.

Antonio's long throw was proving a useful weapon for Wednesday in the attack with the on-loan Reading man throwing deep into the Blades' area at every opportunity.

And Wednesday's relentless second half pressure was made to count on 73 minutes.

Lewis Buxton made an intelligent burst down the right flank before delivering a superb centre for O'Grady to head past the diving Simonsen.

The Blades had to issue a response to falling behind, having offered little in the final third since the restart.

Will Hoskins tested Bywater with a close-range header but the Owls' goalkeeper was equal to the test, pushing behind for a corner.

And that was that at Hillsborough as the Owls emerged triumphant from the derby clash.

Owls: Bywater, Buxton, Batth, R Jones, R Johnson Semedo, Prutton (M Jones 64), Lines, Antonio (Llera 90), Lowe (Madine 59), O'Grady

Unused substitutes: Weaver, Morrison

Blades: Simonsen, Lowton, Maguire, Jean-Francois, Montgomery (Flynn 80), Doyle, Quinn (Beattie 86), Evans, Williamson, Collins, Cresswell (Hoskins 85)

Unused substitutions: Howard, Ertl


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.