Skip to main content


21:40 5th September 2011

Owls hit back for Valley point

Wednesday picked up their first point out of base in the new season as substitute Clinton Morrison's header just before the hour cancelled out an early goal from Charlton hitman Bradley Wright-Phillips.

And the equaliser was well deserved after a spirited second half performance from the Owls, who were forced into changes at The Valley.

With ex-Addicks keeper Nicky Weaver sidelined, Richard O'Donnell stepped into the breach, as did Mark Reynolds at left back in the absence of Julian Bennett.

Last term's Valley Player of the Year Jose Semedo was back on his old stamping ground, while new Owls signing Ryan Lowe had to be content with a place on the bench.

And it was not to be his night as the former Bury man limped out of the action just after half time having been introduced midway through the opening period.

For Wright-Phillips, though, it took just three minutes to make a mark.

The Addicks' talisman picked up possession outside the box and cut inside before unleashing a vicious drive that nestled into the bottom corner to give the hosts an early lead.

The same player found space in the box ten minutes later only to head Johnnie Jackson's header over the bar but the Londoners had settled into the game in the ascendancy.

Dale Stephens could and should have doubled the lead on 18 minutes but the midfielder blasted over from 12 yards with the goal at his mercy.

Charlton v Wednesday

With Wednesday struggling to make an impression, Gary Megson shuffled his pack midway through the first half - Lowe entering the fray in place of Chris Sedgwick.

The tactical switch steadied the ship and Wednesday began to look more cohesive.

While there was little in terms of chances, the base was more solid, which offered greater optimism to the travelling faithful ahead of the second period.

But shortly after half time, the Owls were dealt a blow when Lowe withdrew when he fell awkwardly moments after the resumption.

However, the optimism returned on 57 minutes when Lowe's replacement Morrison snatched an equaliser.

Chris Lines fizzed a corner into the danger zone that was flicked on by Charlton skipper Jackson right into the path of Morrison, who headed home from close range.

That strike took the sting out of Charlton's offensive play and Wednesday enjoyed their share of possession in the closing stages.

Neither keeper was troubled as the clock ticked down but following their blistering start, Charlton will have been disappointed having not put the Owls away, while Megson's men took heart from their maiden away point and improved second half display.

Charlton: Hamer, Jackson, Morrison, Taylor, Stephens, Hayes (Euell 79), Wright-Phillips, Wagstaff, Wiggins, Solly, Hollands

Unused substitutes: Sullivan, Hughes, Pritchard, Cort

Owls: O'Donnell, Buxton, Batth, Jones, Reynolds, Sedgwick (Lowe 23) (Morrison 53), Prutton, Semedo (O'Connor 74), Lines, Marshall, Madine

Unused substitutes: Jameson, Kasnik

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.