Skip to main content


16:54 3th December 2011

Owls through to round three

Ryan Lowe's second half goal was enough to see Wednesday advance to the third round of the FA Cup following a routine win over Aldershot.

Lowe struck four minutes after half time to send the Owls through and although the Shots had their moments, the home side had too much in the tank for their League 2 opponents.

Gary Megson made a host of changes for the cup clash, with Richard O'Donnell, Rob Jones, Julian Bennett, Chris Sedgwick and Liam Palmer all handed starting shirts.

The only area left untouched from last week's league win over Leyton Orient was the final third, where Chris O'Grady and Lowe continued their strike partnership.

After a cagey opening, Lowe found space in the penalty area and a half chance came his way but the ball fell the wrong side of the post.

At the other end, Luke Guttridge was denied by a brave block tackle from skipper Jones as the pattern of the game saw much of the play in the engine room.

Wednesday bossed possession although Aldershot did look dangerous on the break without causing any real problems in the Owls' backline.

O'Grady drilled a long ranger that whistled over the crossbar as half time approached and Lines was thwarted by some stout Darren Jones defending but overall, the opening period was one of few chances and no standout talking points.

Owls v Aldershot

The FA Cup contest needed a tonic after the break and got exactly that on 49 minutes. O'Grady flicked a high ball into the area for Lowe to advance on goal and the former Bury man made no mistake from ten yards, sliding confidently beyond Jamie Young.

Having got their noses in front, the Owls sought a second goal to all but kill the game and Megson's men started to turn the screw.

James Tavernier looked dangerous down the right flank, twice providing good crosses into the box that the Shots managed to clear.

But while ever just the single goal separated the sides, the visitors were in with a shout and Michael Rankine might have done better with a back post header following an accurate feed from Ben Herd.

And Aldershot almost paid for that profligacy when Lowe scampered through on goal midway through the second half but on this occasion failed to find the target.

The Hampshire outfit had another chance on 73 minutes when Adam Smith lined up an angled drive but O'Donnell stood his ground and parried to safety.

Wednesday twice almost put the game to bed with six minutes to go. First, O'Grady forced a fine low save from Young before Liam Palmer missed by a whisker to get something on Lines' resulting corner.

O'Grady again went close at the end - as did substitute Jermaine Johnson - but Lowe's earlier strike proved sufficient to ensure the Owls enter Sunday afternoon's third round draw.

Owls: O'Donnell, Tavernier, Jones, R Johnson, Bennett, Sedgwick (J Johnson 86), Semedo, Lines, Palmer (Prutton 86), Lowe (Morrison 80), O'Grady

Unused substitutes: Jameson, Reynolds, Otsemobor, Coke

: Young, Herd, Straker, Guttridge, Jones, Collins (Davies 80), Rankine (McGlashan 77), Hylton, Rodman (Pearson 77), Morris, Smith

Unused substitutes: Worner, Brown, Pulis, Vincenti

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.