09:30 26th February 2014
Following considered internal discussions at board level and with all parties concerned, Sheffield Wednesday can confirm that Gary Madine will re-join the first team squad on Thursday, 27 February.
The Owls’ forward was released from prison last week and the club fully accepts that the 23-year-old has shown genuine remorse for the actions that led to his conviction in September 2013.
Sheffield Wednesday will offer their full and ongoing support to Madine as he seeks to take positive moves forward on both a personal and professional basis.
Chairman Milan Mandaric said: “First and foremost, Gary is remorseful and has apologised to all those affected.
“He has made some serious errors of judgement and is the first to take ownership of that situation and the consequences that followed.
“We can only condemn his actions as a community-focused football club and make it abundantly clear that no further breach of club rules will be tolerated.
“However, we are of the belief that Gary will try his utmost to put this episode behind him, whilst never forgetting the impact of his actions.
“In addition, we firmly believe the club can play a key, hands-on role in facilitating Gary’s rehabilitation back into the professional working environment.”
Madine said: “I would like to apologise unreservedly to everyone who has suffered through my actions. I realise I let myself, my family and friends, and Sheffield Wednesday Football Club down.
“I now wish to look forward with all the focus on my football.
“I would also like to place on record my appreciation for everyone who has offered me help and support during this difficult period of my life.
“I am grateful to Sheffield Wednesday for giving me this continued opportunity and I can only promise never to let the club or anyone else down in this manner again.”
The club nor the player will be making any further comment at this time.