Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
14 January 2017 Venue Hillsborough Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Wednesday 2-0 Huddersfield

14 January 2017

The Owls posted a vital win against Huddersfield at Hillsborough, with a blistering strike from Ross Wallace and a later goal from Fernando Forestieri separating the promotion contenders.

After a lacklustre first half, Wallace and Forestieri lit up S6, either side of Town midfielder Jack Payne seeing red as a much-improved Wednesday took the plaudits.

With both sides on strong runs of resistance, something had to give and it almost did just two minutes in when Nahki Wells found himself in space at the back post but nodded into the grateful arms of Keiren Westwood.

Michael Hefele then headed just wide from an Aaron Mooy corner as the Terriers asked the early questions.

Forestieri shot past the post after escaping his marker before the contest fell into a lull with half time approaching.

Steven Fletcher headed a Barry Bannan cross over the crossbar with the interval near, while at the other end Westwood produced a fine save to keep out a Chris Lowe set piece.

The Owls introduced new recruit Sam Winnall for the second half but it was Wallace that took centre stage as Wednesday hit the front on 54 minutes.

The Scot picked up possession 25 yards out and advanced to smash a long ranger that positively flew into the top corner.

It was the boost the Owls needed and they began to dominate – Forestieri had a penalty claim turned down before rising to fire just past the post.

The match took another twist in Wednesday’s favour on 69 minutes when Huddersfield were reduced to ten men.

Payne tussled with Sam Hutchinson and appeared to kick out, leaving the referee little choice but to issue a straight red card.

The Terriers rallied for the closing stages in pursuit of an equaliser but the task was always difficult given their numerical disadvantage and the Owls duly capitalised in stoppage time.

Winnall broke down the right and the ball fell kindly to Callum McManaman, whose shot was stabbed home by Forestieri to make the points safe.

Wednesday: Westwood, Hunt (Palmer 80) Loovens, Lees, Pudil, Wallace (McManaman 87), Bannan, Hutchinson, Reach, Forestieri, Fletcher (Winnall 46)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account