Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Owls cruise to victory

8 August 2012

Kilmarnock 1-4 Owls

The Owls claimed a 4-1 win over SPL side Kilmarnock in the pre-season friendly meeting on Wednesday evening at Rugby Park.

The game – which was played as a testimonial for Killie defender Jamie Fowler – saw both sides create chances but it was Dave Jones’ men who were the most clinical in front of goal.

First half strikes from trialist Marlon Harewood and Chris O’Grady set the Owls on their way to victory before Italian striker Manuel Pascali pulled one back shortly after the break for Kilmarnock.

Two quick-fire goals in the final few moments from Harewood completed the comfortable win for Wednesday and a hat-trick for the striker, who had impressed on the evening north of the border.

In the early evening sunshine at Rugby Park, Wednesday made an attacking start as Harewood made clever use of the ball 20 yards from goal but his low strike was comfortably dealt with by Cameron Bell.

Killie midfielder Liam Kelly struck over the bar from a corner before Wednesday edged into the lead on 20 minutes, with Harewood inking his name on the scoresheet.

The striker, who has been on trial with the Owls over the summer, turned his marker sharply inside the area before burying a firm low drive into the bottom corner.

Stephen Bywater had to be alert to stop a fierce drive from striker Matthew Kennedy but it was Wednesday who were seeing most of the ball at the half-hour point.

Moments before the half time whistle sounded, Wednesday added to their lead through O’Grady, who finished from eight yards on the half volley from Prutton’s cross.

Second half substitute Rory McKenzie brought a fine save from Bywater moments after the restart before Pascali halved the deficit for Kilmarnock on 54 minutes.

Lee Johnson’s strike from distance found its way beneath Bywater and Pascali applied the finishing touch on the goal line.

Michail Antonio then forced a corner with his first trademark attack down the right flank and Harewood almost profited from the flag kick but his header was well saved by Kyle Letheren.

Antonio had settled into the game well since his introduction at the break as the lively midfield man jinked his way into a shooting position from the left but saw his effort trickle just wide of the right hand post.

Gary Harkins then went close to scoring an equaliser as the midfielder cleverly avoided a number of challenges before miss-firing at the vital moment from close range.

Letheren then kept his side in the game with three fine stops in the space of a minute as Diogo Amado, Giles Coke and O’Grady were all thwarted by the Welshman. 

Harewood then made the game safe as the striker controlled well inside the area before drilling home inside Letheren’s near post.

And with time ticking down on a comfortable victory, Harewood completed his hat-trick.

O’Grady led the charge on the break before squaring for Harewood who had the simple task of slotting home into an empty net.

Kilmarnock: Bell (Letheren 46), Tesselaar (Pursehouse 46), Fowler (Johnson 50), O’Leary, Nelson, Kelly, Dayton (Harkins 46), Perez, Boulding (McKeown 46), Pascali, Kennedy (McKenzie 46)

Unused substitutes: Racchi, Gros, Fisher

Owls: Bywater, Buxton, Swerts (Antonio 46), Beevers, Mattock (Lee 46), Larrea (Amado 74), Prutton, Jarolim (Coke 74), M Jones, Harewood, O’Grady

Unused substitutes: Dawson

Advertisement block