Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Owls hit back

18 August 2012

The Owls clinched a dramatic point at Pride Park on Saturday, drawing 2-2 with Derby.

Reda Johnson’s last minute equaliser earned Wednesday a well-deserved point having bossed almost the whole of second half.

But the Owls had to do it the hard way, falling two goals behind early in the game.

Nathan Tyson gave the hosts the lead after 11 minutes and Jake Buxton doubled Derby’s lead midway through the first half.

Wednesday responded through Chris O’Grady before the interval, who let fly with an unstoppable effort that flew into the top corner.

From that point onwards, the pendulum had swung in the visitors' favour but it took until the final minute for the equaliser to come – but come it did.

Reda Johnson was in the right place to nod home the equaliser in front of the jubilant Sheffield Wednesday supporters.

There was a fantastic atmosphere inside Pride Park with plenty of noise being made from the 6,000 strong away following from Sheffield.

It was Wednesday who fired the first warning shot of the game inside two minutes when Jermaine Johnson cut inside from the left but saw his strike saved by Frank Fielding.

The Owls were looking a threat on the break with Jermaine Johnson at the heart of a number of attacks but Derby were too looking dangerous in possession and took the lead on 11 minutes.

A deflected shot from the left from Gareth Roberts dropped nicely at the feet of Tyson inside the six yard box who stroked the ball past Chris Kirkland.

The Rams then began to settle into their stride and limited Wednesday to little in front of goal before adding to their lead on 26 minutes.

Paul Coutts whipped in a cross from the right and Buxton judged the flight of the ball well to plant a firm diving header into the bottom corner.

Tyson could have put Derby in an even stronger position on the half-hour mark but for Kirkland making a brave stop from close range before – out of nowhere – Wednesday pulled a goal back.

Jose Semedo found the feet of O’Grady at the edge of the area who spun and thumped an unstoppable drive into the top corner to halve the arrears.

The goal had buoyed the Owls who were back in the game as Jermaine Johnson threatened to equalise before the break but hit his shot wide of Fielding’s near post.

Derby striker Jamie Ward struck a fierce free kick after the break from distance that brought Kirkland into action, who made a smart save down to his left.

Jermaine Johnson continued to trouble the Rams’ rearguard and, after tricking his way through a number of challenges, struck just wide before O’Grady forced Fielding into a fine save to prevent Wednesday from restoring parity.

The Owls were in the ascendancy on the hour and there was a belief in the air that a comeback was on the cards.

Substitute Gary Madine did put the ball in the net for Wednesday but his finish from close range from Lewis Buxton’s cross was ruled out for offside.

And the dramatic leveller arrived in the final minute of the game. A floated cross from Buxton found Madine at the back stick who centred for Reda Johnson to nod home a well-deserved equaliser for Wednesday.

Derby: Fielding, Brayford, Roberts, Bryson, Buxton, Keogh, Coutts, Hendrick, Tyson (O'Connor 73), Ward (Robinson 83), Hughes (Gjokaj 87)

Unused substitutes: Jacobs, Legzdins, Doyle, Bennett 

Owls: Kirkland, Buxton, Llera, Gardner (Beevers 83), R Johnson, Antonio, Semedo, McCabe, J Johnson, Pecnik (Madine 56), O'Grady

Unused substitutes: Bywater, Mattock, Prutton, Coke, Maguire

Advertisement block