Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/12/2012

2 December 2012

Owls out of luck

The Owls slipped to an agonising 1-0 defeat against Cardiff City in the Welsh capital on Sunday.

Having held the league-leaders for 80 minutes, Craig Conway delivered the devastating blow late in the game from distance to hand Cardiff their record-breaking tenth consecutive win on home soil.

For long spells at the Cardiff City Stadium, the Bluebirds could not break through Wednesday’s rearguard but the Owls were ultimately left frustrated at leaving the game empty-handed.

Dave Jones – back on his old stamping ground of the Cardiff City Stadium – handed maiden starts to Danny Mayor and David Prutton, who were both introduced to the engine room.

The Bluebirds, meanwhile, were out to reclaim top spot in the Championship and issued the Owls a warning shot inside the opening minute.

Craig Bellamy carried the ball upfield from the halfway line before cutting back for Andrew Taylor, who struck over the bar from eight yards.

Wednesday, though, settled into the game as the half approached the 20-minute mark but Cardiff had enjoyed the better of the chances with Matthew Connolly and Peter Whittingham each striking over from promising positions outside the area.

Former Birmingham midfielder Jordan Mutch then saw a curled effort destined for the bottom corner headed wide by Miguel Llera.

Chris Lines made an excellent block from Whittingham’s strike after a cleverly worked corner from the hosts as Cardiff began to turn the screw.

But despite the home side keeping the lion’s share of possession, the Owls demonstrated some resilient defending as the half time whistle came.

The trend continued after the break as the Bluebirds fashioned a good opportunity shortly after the restart, Heidar Helguson lofting over after livewire Bellamy’s pull back.

Mayor went on a mazy run that was ended by a perfectly timed tackle in the box by Mark Hudson before the Owls had a clear sight of goal on 57 minutes when MIchail Antonio slotted substitute Gary Madine through but the striker’s effort across David Marshall was parried clear by the Cardiff keeper.

The home side then created the best chance of the game after 70 minutes. Connolly’s centre from wide on the right picked out substitute Rudy Gestede who directed his header agonisingly wide of the target.

Cardiff continued to throw everything at Wednesday as they went in search of their tenth home win on home soil on the trot.

After a spirited and resilient display from the Owls, they could do little to prevent the only goal of the game.

Conway picked up possession 20 yards from goal and struck hard and low inside the far post to give his side a late lead, as Cardiff climb back to the top of the Championship table.

Cardiff: Marshall, Taylor, Hudson, Turner, Whittingham, Conway, Connolly, Bo-Kyung (Mason 60), Mutch (Gunnarsson 78), Helguson (Gestede 69), Bellamy

Unused substitutes: Lewis, McNaughton, Cowie, Lappin

Owls: Kirkland, Buxton, Taylor, Llera, Helan, Antonio, Lines, Prutton, Mayor (J Johnson 64), Sidibe (Madine 34), O'Grady (Rodri 86)

Unused substitutes: Bywater, Lee, Jones, McCabe

Advertisement block