Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Full time reports

17 July 2012

Match action from Stocksbridge and Sheffield FC

The Owls were held to a 1-1 draw at Sheffield FC as a late Dan Williams leveller cancelled out Chris O’Grady’s opener for the visitors.

Wednesday dominated the first half as assistant manager Paul Wilkinson utilised the seniors in his squad before introducing development players after the break.

The Owls handed a start to trialist Marlon Harewood who started up front alongside Chris O’Grady, playing 62 minutes of the game.

The home side grew into the contest for the second period and might have snatched a last-gasp winner had young Wednesday keeper Cameron Dawson not produced an excellent save to keep out a fierce drive from Williams.

But a win for Sheffield FC would have been harsh on the Owls, who dominated from the first whistle.

Jermaine Johnson went close with a pair of piledrivers before O’Grady drilled home on 21 minutes after good work from Joe Mattock down the left.

The dynamic of the game altered through the second half and the hosts equalised 15 minutes from time when substitute Williams glanced a firm header across Dawson and into the net from close range.

Meanwhile Wednesday ran out comfortable 4-0 winners over Stocksbridge at the Look Local Stadium.

The opening goal came on the 18-minute mark and it was summer recruit Chris Maguire who gave Dave Jones’ side the lead.

A clever lay-off from Mike Jones sat up nicely for the forward who buried his strike into bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Gary Madine then added to the Owls’ lead on 24 minutes, finishing into an open goal from Daniel Jones’ header back into the six yard box.

And Wednesday were out of sight before the break with the lively Maguire scoring his second - and the Owls’ third - goal of the evening.
Diogo Amado did well to keep possession in the hosts’ 18-yard box before playing a well-weighted ball to Maguire, who drilled home from 20 yards.

Wednesday made a total of eleven changes throughout the second period, introducing a string of players from the SWFC development squad.

Ryan Lowe, who replaced Madine at half time, became the only established first team regular left on the field after the substitution of Nicky Weaver on 75 minutes.

And the former Bury man twice came within a whisker of adding a fourth for the Owls but saw two strikes come crashing back off the upright.

There was time for one more goal when youngster Patrick Antelmi raced clear in the final minute to finish smartly over Collinge to round off a comprehensive win for the Owls.

Advertisement block