Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Honours even

3 November 2012


The Owls’ Under-18s played out a 1-1 draw with Birmingham at Middlewood Road on Saturday.


Skipper Ayo Obileye scored from the penalty spot after the home side fell behind to an impressive Blues outfit who enjoyed much of the early possession.


With quarter of an hour gone, the visitors produced some good play down the right hand side, and Wednesday had Obileye to thank for a brilliant last-ditch header to deny Birmingham a good sight of goal.

The Owls’ defence was busy for much of the first half, with keeper Cameron Dawson called into action a number of times.

Birmingham took the lead with just over 20 minutes played but the goal seemed to kick-start the Owls into to life.


Two minutes later, some smart play from Sean Mullen created a good opening, only for a last-minute tackle to deny the frontman.

Ten minutes before half time, Wednesday were gifted the chance to level the score when a mistake in the Brum backline allowed Charlie Dawes to square to Mullen, who was hacked down in the box.

Obileye calmly stepped up to haul the Owls back into the game.

Wednesday created a number of good chances early in the second half after changing their formation.

Jack Stobbs produced some neat footwork on the edge of the Birmingham box and his curling effort just bent wide of the far post.

A potential turning point came on the hour when Dawes had what seemed a decent shout for a penalty waved away and to compound matters was booked for simulation.

 “From where I was stood, I thought it was a penalty,” said Owls coach Max Wragg.

“Overall,  we sat too deep and invited pressure instead of putting pressure on.

“We switched it up in the second half and pressed them a lot more.

 “I think 1-1 was a fair result. In the first half, we weren’t up to our game, but the second half was a lot better.”

Owls: Dawson, White, Smith, Obileye, Beatson, Fenwick, Stobbs, Hanna, Dawes (Moses 37), Tomlinson, Mullen (Harvey 45).

Advertisement block