Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Owls edged out

6 October 2012

The Owls suffered a third successive defeat on home soil on Saturday as Hull City ran out 1-0 winners.

Aaron McLean did the damage for the visitors just two minutes after his introduction from the bench with fifteen minutes left on the clock.

Wednesday were out to build on their midweek draw with Burnley but it was Hull who had the first sight at goal when Sone Aluko cut inside from the right but dragged his shot wide.

The Owls, though, looked dangerous on the break in the early throes and thus carved a good opening on 13 minutes.

Michail Antonio outpaced Paul McShane down the left before finding Ross Barkley who teed up Chris O’Grady with his first touch, but the striker shot wide from the edge of the area.

Antonio, who rescued a point for the Owls at Burnley with a sublime strike, went within an inch of breaking the deadlock on 17 minutes when his low effort from 20 yards whistled past the upright.

There was plenty of goalmouth action to speak of at the half way point of the opening period as Miguel Llera saw his header cleared off the line by Ahmed Elmohamady.

City – who came into the game on the back of three straight defeats - were struggling to deal with the threat of Antonio who chest controlled a long ball forward from Rhys McCabe, worked a yard of space in the box before firing wide.

With the half time whistle approaching, the visitors were enjoying a spell of possession in the final third as midfield man Paul McKenna sent a sweet volley from 25 yards a fraction wide.

The Tigers made a strong start to the second period and almost made their early pressure count when Stephen Quinn flashed a ball across the middle but Jay Simpson couldn’t quite connect at the back stick.

Aluko then had a golden opportunity to give his side the lead just after the hour mark but hit his shot from close range wide of Chris Kirkland’s goal after a smart feed from Seyi Olofinjana.

Hull weren’t to be denied, however, and went in front courtesy of a fine finish from McLean.

The forward had only been on the pitch for two minutes and but took his first chance well, striking past Kirkland into the far corner.

Jermaine Johnson almost forced a quick equaliser but his near post strike was kept out by Ben Amos as the Owls succumbed to their sixth defeat in seven Championship games.

Owls: Kirkland, Buxton, Llera, Gardner, Mattock, Antonio, Semedo, McCabe (Mayor 86), Barkley, Bothroyd (J Johnson 72), O’Grady (Madine 65)

Substitutes: Bywater, Jones, Taylor, Rodri

Hull: Amos, Rosenior, Dawson, McKenna, Simpson (McLean 75), McShane, Olofinjana, Faye, Aluko (Prosschwitz 85), Elmohamady, Quinn

Substitutes: Oxley, Evans, Cooper, Townsend 

Advertisement block