Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Owls edge five-goal thriller

12 April 2013


Sheffield Wednesday Under-18s recorded their third win in four games with a 3 -2 victory over Wigan at Middlewood Road.

Two goals from Simon Hanna and a Wale Ayoola strike helped the home side to victory over the Latics.

Wednesday were reduced to ten men late in the game as goalscorer Hanna was sent off after picking up a second yellow card.

The Owls started the brighter, and on 15 minutes a diagonal ball from Hanna found Elias Moses in the box, but his header dropped just wide of the upright.

Within a minute, Wigan’s Ryan Jennings had a chance to put the visitors ahead, but a smart point-blank save from Wednesday keeper kept the scores level.

Good link-up play between Emmanuel Dieseruvwe and Jack Taylor down the left created a chance for Ayoola on the edge of the area, but he could only blaze his shot well over the bar.

Cameron Dawson was called into action midway through the first half, as a mistake in the Wednesday backline let Latics’ Matty Hamilton in, but Dawson pushed his effort on to the post and out for a corner.

The hosts took the lead just moments before the interval. Taylor played in Moses down the right flank, whose square ball was met by Ayoola, who slid the ball in at the near post.

Ten minutes into the second half, Hanna doubled the Owls lead, as he converted Charlie Dawes’ shot-come-cross from just inside the penalty area.

Wigan responded almost instantly, with Bradley Anderson nudging the ball past Dawson after a scramble in the goal mouth.

With 20 minutes left, Hanna restored the home side’s two-goal cushion.

Dawes was the provider, feeding Hanna just outside the box whose right foot effort curled into the top corner.

However, the visitors were not out of the contest and struck back within second of the restart.

Anderson picked out Jennings, who rifled a left footed effort past the outstretched Dawson, and in to the top left corner.

Wednesday were left to sweat for the final ten minutes, as Hanna was shown a second yellow but Wednesday held on for all three points.

Advertisement block