Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Kids' cup thriller

10 December 2013


The Owls’ Under-18s advanced to the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup on a thrilling night at Hillsborough, beating Crystal Palace 4-2 on penalties following a 4-4 draw in normal time.


Central defender Brad Beatson struck the decisive spot-kick to put the Londoners to bed in a contest that saw three penalties before the shootout, eight goals and one red card.


The unluckiest player on display had to be Eagles striker Jacob Berkeley-Aygepong, who fired a hat-trick but still finished on the losing side.


It was Berkeley-Aygepong who hit Palace into a two-goal lead in the first half before the impressive Jack Stobbs gave Wednesday a lifeline right on the whistle.


Then after the resumption, the Owls hit a quickfire double through Jack Taylor and Beatson to turn the tie on its head.


Palace responded with Berkeley-Aygepong completing his treble but the drama was far from over.


Eight minutes from time, the visitors had a golden chance to go through from the spot when Matt Penney hauled back Ibby Akinbi and saw red for his pains.

Mandela Egpo stepped up from 12 yards but smashed his penalty high and wide.


The Owls looked to have sealed it themselves when Franck Betra converted from close range right at the last only for the strike to be ruled out for handball.


The match went into extra time and Wednesday edged in front after Betra was fouled in the area by Palace keeper Bradley Cumins.


Charlie Daws saw his penalty saved but drilled home the rebound.

Still there was time for more excitement at the end of the first period of extra time as Joe Wildsmith upended Kyle Spence in the box and the referee pointed to the spot for the third time – Hiram Boateng made no mistake to level the contest 4-4.


After a breathless game finally ended, the penalty shootout ensued and the home side emerged triumphant, with Beatson blasting past Comins to settle a pulsating cup clash.


Advertisement block