Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Forest end Owls' run

2 March 2013


Wednesday suffered a 1-0 defeat to Nottingham Forest in the Saturday evening kick off at Hillsborough.

Dangerman Radoslaw Majewski scored the game’s only goal in the first half – his fifth goal in Forest’s last three games.

The visitors turned in an impressive performance at Hillsborough and were good value for their victory.

The Owls went into the live televised clash in excellent form looking to extend their unbeaten run in the Championship to eight straight games.

Forest, though, were also in the middle of a purple patch of their own which had been spurred on by the return of boss Billy Davies to The City Ground.

The visitors had collected seven points from a possible nine prior to the fixture at Hillsborough – which made for an interesting game on paper in S6.

It was Forest who started the game on the front foot.

Dexter Blackstock had an early shot at goal which Chris Kirkland comfortably dealt with after some neat build-up play before Connor Wickham tested Karl Darlow with a looping header moments later.

Andy Reid’s in-swinging free kick from the right dangerously bounced the wrong side of the far post before Forest had the ball in the back of the net on 25 minutes.

Reid’s delivery picked out Blackstock, who delicately headed past Kirkland into the back of the net but the linesman’s flag was raised to rule out the goal.

But in Forest’s very next attack, they did find the breakthrough.

Simon Cox jinked his way past a number of challenges in the area before squaring to Majewski who slotted home from six yards.

Things could have got worse for the Owls on 27 minutes when Chris Cohen raced down the left flank before delivering a dangerous low centre that just evaded Blackstock in the middle, as Anthony Gardner made a vital interception.

The visitors continued on in the ascendancy as Wednesday struggled to get into their stride.

Cox then flashed a low strike inches past the far post after smart build-up play from the Reds.

Jeremy Helan looked to provide an outlet with a pacey burst forward but his low cross was cleared behind for a corner as Forest finished the half strongly.

Dave Jones made one change for the second half with Jermaine Johnson replacing Wickham in the Owls attack.

Forest began the second period stongly as Majewski’s curled attempt seemed destined to hit the target but was well blocked by Gardner.

Michail Antonio did well at the other end to fashion a chance in front of goal but blazed over before Majewski dragged his strike wide of the near post.

David Prutton then saw his half volley from 20 yards blocked out in the area by a sea of Forest defenders as Wednesday pressed to find a way back into the game.

The Owls had to up the ante in order to find the equaliser and Lita almost found a way through but Darlow made a key save from the striker’s low header.

Spurred on by over 20,000 Wednesday fans, the Owls threw everything at Forest in the late exchanges to get back level but the visitors stood strong to claim all three points.

Owls: Kirkland, Buxton, Gardner, Llera, Pugh (Lee 66), Antonio, Coke, Prutton (Madine 78), Helan, Lita, Wickham (Johnson 46)

Unused substitutes: Bywater, Taylor, Semedo, McCabe

Forest: Darlow, Collins (Lascelles 81), Guedioura, Cohen, Reid, Cox (Sharp 77), Lansbury, Blackstock, Majewski (Moussi 73), Ward, Reyes

Unused substitutes: Evtimov, McGugan, Greening, McLaughlin

Advertisement block