Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 01/10/2013

1 October 2013

Owls denied


Wednesday came within a minute of posting their maiden win of the campaign after a dogged and determined performance at Brighton on Tuesday.


New loan recruit Matty Fryatt pounced just before half time to give the Owls an interval lead but Keith Andrews struck at the last to give the hosts a share of the spoils.


But despite being under the cosh for long parts of the game, Wednesday equipped themselves well and certainly deserved something for their efforts.


The Seagulls were the first to show and David Lopez was inches away from homing in on goal following a clever chip from Bruno Saltor.


Returning hitman Leo Ulloa – back after a three-match ban - then burst through but Chris Kirkland dashed off his line and with a timely intervention spread himself to clear the danger.


But Wednesday responded well to the twin early scare and pinned the hosts into their own half for a period, only for Brighton to hit back with Lewis Buxton’s last-ditch challenge denying Andrew Crofts.


Kirkland then dived low to smother a Croft strike from distance – before the Owls stole into the lead three minutes before half time.


Jeremy Helan picked up possession on the left edge of the penalty area and the Frenchman advanced before finding Fryatt, who turned to slot home from six yards.


For the fifth time this season, the Owls had drawn first blood and with Brighton out of the traps apace at the start of the second half, it was a huge test to keep the hosts at bay.


Kirkland was off his line again swiftly to deal with another break forward from Ulloa – and that proved the last action of the game for the Argentinean, who left the field with injury just before the hour.


It was backs to the walls for the Owls as the second period unfolded and the Seagulls almost drew level when Ashley Barnes swivelled to strike a fierce Kazenga LuaLua feed that flashed inches wide.


Andrews sent a piledriver wide on 75 minutes as Wednesday hung on and with some resolute defending, the finish line was in sight.


The Owls did launch attacks of their own on the counter, though, and Helan forced Tomasz Kuszczak into a near post save with ten minutes to go.


But Brighton had the final word with a minute to go when Andrews hit home at the far post to give the home side a deserved point.


Brighton: Kuszczak, Saltor, Greer, Andrews, Crofts, Calderon (Buckley 46), Ward, Ulloa (Agustien 56), Upson, Lopez (Barnes 58), LuaLua


Owls: Kirkland, Buxton, Roger Johnson, Llera, Reda Johnson, Antonio, Semedo, McPhail (McCabe 87), Coke (Jermaine Johnson 67), Helan, Fryatt (Palmer 77)

Advertisement block