Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Leicester 2-1 Wednesday

4 April 2014

Wednesday put up a good fight against top of the table Leicester but succumbed to a narrow 2-1 defeat at King Power Stadium.

The champions elect hit the ground running and scored inside the first ten minutes through Riyad Mahrez.

Michail Antonio bagged the equaliser on his comeback from injury before the break but an Anthony Knockaert free kick settled the clash after half time, as the Foxes extended their lead at the summit.

Boasting the best home record in the division, Leicester made a strong start in the Friday evening televised clash.

The Foxes fired an early warning shot on five minutes when David Nugent squared for Knockaert, who aimed wide with his first time finish from eight yards.

But the hosts kept up the pressure and made it count with a neat finish from Mahrez to break the deadlock.

The Leicester midfielder capitalised on a slip by Joe Mattock in the area and neatly tucked the ball past Chris Kirkland into the bottom corner, via a touch off the post.

While the Foxes had bossed possession, the Owls crept back into the game midway through the first half and the returning Antonio was at the heart of a promising spell for the visitors.

The forward took responsibility from just over halfway and attacked the Foxes’ backline at pace before blasting on target, only for Kasper Schmeichel to get two strong hands to the ball to push away from goal.

Leicester were showing exactly why they sit top of the tree in the Championship and almost doubled their lead through leading marksman Nugent, but the prolific striker curled just wide of the upright.

Having threatened Schmeichel’s goal earlier in the half, Antonio capped a menacing run forward with a goal on his return to the side.

The winger advanced towards goal from the left with intent before shifting the ball onto his right foot and burying into the bottom corner.

Despite making a positive start after the break, Wednesday were powerless to prevent the Foxes from regaining their lead.

Knockaert lined up a free kick from just outside the box and struck sweetly into the top corner past the despairing Kirkland.

Wednesday came within a whisker of levelling for a second time following a clever piece of ingenuity from a corner.

Mattock did well to spot Chris Maguire in space on the edge of the area and the Scot volleyed first time agonisingly wide of the target.

But the Owls went even closer in stoppage time when Kieran Lee was denied from close range by Schmeichel before rebound efforts from Liam Palmer and Leon Best were went astray as Leicester held on for victory.

Leicester: Schmeichel, De Laet, Drinkwater, Morgan, James, Schlupp, Knockaert (Dyer 90), Mahrez (Hammond 79), Wasilewski, Nugent, Wood (Taylor-Fletcher 59)

Owls: Kirkland, Buxton, Loovens (Coke 57), Onyewu (Llera 46), Mattock, Maguire, Palmer, Lee, Antonio, Best, Lavery (Nuhiu 71)

Advertisement block