Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Burnley 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday

26 August 2014

  • Owls win 1-0 at Burnley in Capital One Cup
  • Atdhe Nuhiu on the spot for Wednesday
  • Triumphant Turf Moor return for Stuart Gray

Sheffield Wednesday advanced to the third round of the Capital One Cup at the expense of Premiership Burnley.

In-form striker Atdhe Nuhiu scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot on 77 minutes to make a happy return for Stuart Gray to Turf Moor.

Gray, former first team coach and caretaker manager of the Clarets, watched from the visiting dugout as substitute Nuhiu slotted home to put Wednesday into round three.

Both sides made changes for the cup clash, with Gray handing starts to Chris Kirkland, Kamil Zayatte, Jeremy Helan and Gary Madine.

And Kirkland should have been tested just four minutes in when Ross Wallace delivered a fine ball to the back stick but Michael Kightly mistimed his shot and the chance went begging.

Zayatte went close as the Owls responded at the other end before Madine headed inches over from a Chris Maguire corner.

Wednesday were far from second best to their top flight opponents and almost went into the lead on 18 minutes.

Maguire sent a superb ball into the danger area but Kevin Long’s attempted clearance succeeded only in smashing against his own crossbar with debutant keeper Michael Gilks wrong-footed.

Burnley hit back, though, and Ashley Barnes narrowly missed the target following good wing work from Wallace.

That was as good as it got in the first half and with extra time and penalties a possibility in the second, a draw benefited neither side.

To that end, Burnley were out of the traps for the second period, with both Barnes and Marvin Sordell testing the Owls’ defence moments after the resumption.

But the action soon calmed and it was nip and tuck as the contest progressed.

Maguire tried a speculative lob from distance that landed wide, Madine’s header brought a comfortable Gilks save and Maguire crashed into the side netting as Wednesday enjoyed a threatening spell.

But the Clarets held firm and substitute Matt Taylor saw a low effort trickle past the post and Long hooked past the post.

With little in the game, extra time seemed an ever likelier prospect – until the Owls won a penalty 13 minutes from time.

Jeremy Shackell upended Jeremy Helan in the area and up stepped Nuhiu to steer Wednesday to the next stage of the competition.

Burnley: Gilks, Trippier, Shackell, Ward, Arfield, Sordell (Jutkiewicz 83), Kightly (Ings 83), Wallace, Long, Jones (Taylor 60), Barnes

Owls: Kirkland, Palmer, Zayatte, Lees, Mattock, Maghoma (May 63), Coke, Semedo, Helan, Maguire (Nuhiu 72), Madine

Advertisement block