Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 11/02/2014

11 February 2014

Sheffield Wednesday’s run of resistance came to an end at Hillsborough on Tuesday as Wigan emerged as 3-0 winners on the night.

Nicky Maynard set the ball rolling for the Latics midway through the first half with a low angled drive into the bottom corner.

What happened next surprised everyone in S6, as Martyn Waghorn’s corner kick found its way directly into the back of the net to send the visitors into the break 2-0 to the good.

In truth, both sides largely cancelled each other out in an even second half, save a late rally from Wednesday, but it was Wigan who finished with a flourish as Marc-Antoine Fortune sealed the win, blasting home in injury time.

It was take two at Hillsborough as Wigan came to S6 for the second time this season following the abandoned December clash.

Cardiff loanee Adedeji Oshilaja made his debut for Wednesday, lining up in central defence alongside Miguel Llera.

After an incident-free opening ten minutes, it was Llera who almost broke the deadlock with a clever piece of opportunism.

The Spaniard took a quick free kick from 45 yards having spotted Ali Al Habsi off his line but the ball sailed just off target.

With chances at a premium up to the halfway point of the first half, Wednesday threatened to take the lead twice inside a minute.

Atdhe Nuhiu robbed possession from Leon Barnett inside the area but shot tamely at Al Habsi and Benik Afobe’s promising run came to an abrupt halt, with the striker slipping in the area when about to pull the trigger.

And Wednesday were made to pay almost instantly when Maynard thumped home into the bottom corner in the next Wigan surge upfield.

To make matters worse, the Latics bagged a quickfire second direct from a Waghorn flag-kick to the surprise of all parties in the area.

The ex-Sunderland man whipped a low, bending corner kick into the danger zone that flew straight into the net at the near post.

Shortly after the resumption, Stuart Gray made two changes with Jeremy Helan and Michail Antonio entering the fray and the former looked lively from the off.

Helan took possession on the left and forced Al Habsi to save at full stretch and moments later Llera directed a header on target that the Latics keeper comfortably gathered.

It was then Antonio’s turn to force the issue, delivering a dangerous cross that Nuhiu put wide with a header.

But Wigan looked strong in all areas and the task facing Wednesday grew bigger and bigger as the minutes passed by.

Wednesday, though, continued to rally and Chris Maguire stung the palms of Al Habsi from distance with a strike that seemed destined for the top corner.

The Scot then dragged wide from a similar position as the Owls desperately tried to find a way back into the game, but in stoppage time Wigan put the result beyond any doubt.

Chris Kirkland did well to save from Maynard but Fortune was nicely placed to blast home from six yards to add a more emphatic edge to the scoreline.

Owls: Kirkland, Palmer, Oshilaja, Llera, Mattock, Maguire, Lee, Semedo (Lavery 64), Maghoma (Antonio 55), Nuhiu, Afobe (Helan 55)

Wigan: Al Habsi, McCann, Watson, McClean (Fortune  51), McArthur (Kiernan 88), Boyce, Beausejour, Perch, Barnett, Maynard, Waghorn (Crainey 81)

Advertisement block