Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Charlton

24 February 2014

Sheffield Wednesday suffered a disappointing 2-1 defeat to Charlton Athletic in the fifth round of the FA Cup on Monday evening.

Callum Harriott blasted the visitors in front early in the game but Wednesday responded well after half time and equalised through Leon Best.

But the Addicks went on to regain their lead through leading scorer Simon Church and held on for the remainder of the game to book their quarter final spot.

Nine days after the tie should have taken place, the Owls and Charlton finally met in the FA Cup to battle it out at Hillsborough.

The visitors settled into the contest the quicker of the two sides and had Wednesday on the back foot inside the first ten minutes.

Harriott used his pace down the left to create a yard of space and deliver a low centre that Astrit Ajdarevic met with a first time hit, but Miguel Llera was handily placed to make a crucial block.

The visitors were posing a real threat through the early exchanges and duly made their pressure count in the 21st minute.

Charlton poured bodies forward into the area and after a partial clearance, the ball fell to Harriott, who rifled home a half volley from 16 yards.

What followed was a tense opening period of few chances until the 38th minute when Owls loanee Gary Gardner thundered a half volley from 30 yards on target but straight down the throat of Ben Hamer.

And that was the start of a positive period for Wednesday as Best chest-controlled a high ball before firing a dipping volley from distance that Hamer saved well.

In contrast to the first half, Wednesday were quickly out of the blocks for the second and immediately took the game to Charlton, with Jacques Maghoma and Giles Coke going close.

And the Owls were rewarded for that start ten minutes after the resumption with Best grabbing his first goal since his return to Wednesday.

Chris Maguire’s lofted free kick fell to the on-loan ace, who didn’t appear to get the cleanest of connections but the ball nestled nicely into the top corner to haul Wednesday level.

The goal gave the Owls a huge lift and substitute Atdhe Nuhiu went close from another Maguire free kick minutes later.

But that good work was just as quickly undone when the Addicks regained their advantage just past the hour.

From a Charlton set piece, Johnnie Jackson’s delivery found Church lurking around the six-yard box, and the striker - with a suspicion of an arm - diverted the ball home into the middle of the goal.

Undeterred, though, Wednesday went in search of another equaliser and the whole of Hillsborough thought that had arrived in the 73rd minute.

Another Maguire corner caused havoc in the Addicks’ area and Nuhiu's header appeared to be goal-bound but the ball deflected back off the angle and Hamer gathered on the goal line.

The Owls kept on creating and were desperately unlucky not to level in the 88th minute when Hamer spilled a low cross and as Coke slid to tap in to the empty net, the ball struck the unfortunate Best on the deck, allowing Charlton to clear the danger.

Maguire’s late free kick couldn’t find its way through a crowded area and the Scot almost came up with an even later leveller but his deflected strike was superbly stopped by Hamer and Wednesday bowed out.

Owls: Martinez, Palmer, Loovens, Llera, Mattock, Maghoma, Coke, Gardner (Nuhiu 58), Maguire (Lavery 58), Afobe (Helan 74), Best 

Charlton: Hamer, Jackson, Morrison, Church (Ghoochanneejhad 85), Harriott, Wood (Dervite 90), Wilson, Cousins, Fox, Poyet, Ajdarevic (Hughes 90)

Advertisement block