Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

All square at Turf Moor

18 January 2014

From a lively, end to end Championship clash at Turf Moor, Wednesday emerged with a creditable point in the 1-1 draw.

Striker Sam Vokes fired Burnley in front on the stroke of half time but the Owls hit back almost instantly, with Chris Maguire scoring his third goal in four games.

The stalemate at Turf Moor keeps Wednesday’s good run in all competitions going – now without defeat in seven.

The Clarets went into the game as the only remaining unbeaten side on home soil in the Championship, thus highlighting the size of the task facing Wednesday.

And the home side nearly registered after ten minutes when ex-Owls loanee Keith Treacy saw his goalbound strike cleared away for a corner by Glenn Loovens.

But Wednesday, who went into the clash in a rich vein of goalscoring form, created the best chance of the early exchanges.

Maguire’s low cross found Connor Wickham, who cleverly teed up Kieran Lee six yards from goal and just as the midfielder was set to pull the trigger, David Jones made a vital last-ditch recovery challenge.

Caolan Lavery – in his first start for the Owls – then shot just wide from the angle after receiving the ball from Wickham’s flick.

Burnley, though, remained a danger going forward and had a clear cut chance midway through the opening period.

Dangerman Danny Ings threaded through for Dean Marney but the midfield man placed wide with only Chris Kirkland to beat.

Tom Heaton then denied Wickham’s fierce near post strike before Burnley struck first blood on the stroke of half time.

Marney robbed possession from Jose Semedo and dinked over the top for Vokes, who poked the ball home past Kirkland.

As Burnley looked to be heading into the break one goal ahead, Wednesday responded in the best possible fashion. Wickham whipped a dangerous ball into the mix and, after a touch from debutant Oguchi Onyewu, Maguire blasted home from close range to level.

Burnley began the second half on top in terms of possession but Clarets keeper Heaton had to remain alert as Lavery tested the ex-Manchester United man with a deflected effort after a quick counter by the visitors.

Liam Palmer then denied Jones with an outstanding piece of defending, as the right back dropped back on the goal line to head clear with the goal gaping.

The final 15 minutes were end to end and as Wednesday broke with Wickham and Maguire, the latter darted into the area and went down under a Jason Shackell challenge but the referee cautioned the Scot for simulation.

The late pressure came from Burnley and Ings was at the heart of the action.

The Clarets' top scorer first hit a low strike from 12 yards that came crashing back off the post before the same man swivelled in the area, only to see Kirkland save well from close range.

Still Burnley pressed as Ings blasted firmly on target in stoppage time but Kirkland was equal to the shot and tipped over the bar as the Owls claimed a valuable point over the Pennines.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Lafferty, Shackell, Duff, Marney, Jones, Ings, Arfield, Vokes, Treacy (Barnes 82)

Owls: KIrkland, Palmer, Loovens, Onyewu, Mattock, Maguire, Lee, Semedo, Maghoma (Nuhiu 68), Wickham, Lavery (Helan 83)

Advertisement block