Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Owls advance

14 January 2014

Wednesday booked their place in the next round of the FA Cup, overcoming Macclesfield 4-1 in the third round replay.

The Owls enjoyed the best of the opening exchanges and went in front through an early Chris Maguire strike.

But despite Wednesday's dominance, Macclesfield levelled through Scott Boden from the spot after half time – a goal which gave the Silkmen a huge boost.

But ultimately it was the Owls who prevailed with quality strikes from Jacques Maghoma and Jermaine Johnson putting the game beyond doubt.

A late Miguel Llera header put the icing on the cake with Wednesday now set for a fourth round clash at Rochdale.

Following a tricky encounter ten days prior at Moss Rose, the Owls were fully aware of the strengths of their non-league opposition.

But Wednesday soon found their feet in the replayed fixture and took an early lead through in-form Maguire.

Three minutes into the clash, the forward cut in from the left and struck a firm daisy cutter that nested nicely in the net, with the power and placement leaving goalkeeper Rhys Taylor helpless.

The visitors were well under the cosh as the midway point of the first half approached.

Maguire was again at the heart of the action, first fizzing a shot just past the post and then seeing another low strike cleared off the line by Steve Williams.

All the possession was with Wednesday, save a rare burst upfield from Macclesfield, one of which saw Danny Whitaker hit inches wide of the Kop net.

Wednesday continued to threaten after the interval and following a good piece of goalkeeping from Taylor to save from Maguire, Maghoma’s chip landed just over the bar.

Despite Wednesday’s dominance, there was a huge twist in the tale when the Silkmen were awarded a 64th minute penalty.

Joe Mattock was adjudged to have handled in the area and up stepped the visitor’s top scorer Boden, who calmly rolled his spot kick into the Leppings Lane net.

Macclesfield were back in the game and should have turned the tie on its head five minutes later.

Scott Kay forced Damian Martinez to make a point blank save but the ball rebounded back to the midfielder who had a golden chance to smash his side into lead but, with Martinez on the deck, his half volley crashed against the crossbar and away from danger.

And Macclesfield were made to pay for that costly miss because Wednesday edged back in front 14 minutes from time.

Jermaine Johnson did well to create space down the centre and played in Maghoma, who thumped home into the bottom corner.

And the game was put to bed six minutes from time when Jermaine Johnson struck from 20 yards into the bottom corner past the despairing dive of Taylor, leaving the tie way beyond the Silkmen.

The Owls inflicted more punishment on Town at the last, as Llera nodded home from a late corner for the Owls to confirm their place in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Owls: Martinez, R Johnson (Mattock 46), Loovens, Llera, Palmer, Helan (Jermaine Johnson 66), Semedo, Maghoma, Lee (McCabe 83), Maguire, Nuhiu

Macclesfield: Taylor, Connor, Andrew, Turnbull (Holroyd 61), Mackreth, Winn (Rowe 61), Williams (Martin 88), Boden, Whitaker, Kay, Halls

Advertisement block