Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Millwall 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday

28 January 2014

Ten-man Wednesday claimed a point from their trip to The Den on Tuesday, drawing 1-1 in a heated clash with Millwall.

Second half substitute Giles Coke struck first for the Owls before DJ Campbell levelled the game with ten minutes to play.

The game boiled over in the final few moments when Coke and Shane Lowry were issued with straight red cards for an off the ball incident.

Neither side was content with a point, as both pressed in an end-to-end finish, but a draw was probably a fair result over a lively 90 minutes.

The home side posed the early questions with Lee Martin threatening the Wednesday goal inside two minutes but Liam Palmer was on hand as the covering defender to clear.

Chris Kirkland then made a comfortable stop from Danny Shittu from a corner but the Lions continued to press and carved two golden chances inside the first 15 minutes.

First Steve Morison forced Kirkland into a fine stop from the angle before Martin capitalised on a mix up at the back but couldn’t punish Wednesday, with Kirkland again making a crucial save at the last.

But having weathered that storm, the Owls gave Millwall cause for concern with Jeremy Helan the architect of two good chances.

The wideman took possession on the halfway line and did superbly well to dribble past a number of challenges before squaring for Atdhe Nuhiu, who headed over the bar.

Helan was getting joy down the left and just moments later produced another teasing cross that fell to Chris Maguire but the Scot fired over the top under pressure.

Millwall began the second half as they did the first on the front foot and almost took the lead when Morison’s bullet header was aiming for the top corner but Kirkland athletically tipped away from danger.

But the Lions were almost architects of their own downfall in the 48th minute.

Caolan Lavery – who replaced Glenn Loovens at half time – whipped in a cross from the right that Stephen Bywater spilled onto his goal line and desperately pushed away from danger with Nuhiu lurking.

Both sides were offering plenty going forward and it was Millwall’s turn to attack on 65 minutes when Morison went through on goal and squared to substitute Liam Feeney who put wide from inside the six yard box.

The game, though, sparked into life in the 70th minute when Wednesday struck first blood through Coke.

Maguire threaded a fine ball through to Coke who took a touch to round Bywater before slotting the ball into the net. 

And it was so nearly 2-0 just minutes later when Miguel Llera’s header was tipped onto the bar by Bywater from Maguire’s corner.

But Millwall found a way back into the game with ten minutes to play when Campbell bagged his first goal for the Lions since his loan switch from Blackburn.

From a dangerous delivery into the area, Liam Trotter’s first header rebounded back off the post but Campbell was on hand from six yards to nod into the net.

In a hectic final few moments, there was drama when Coke and Lowry were dismissed for an off the ball clash with both sides seeing out the game with ten men.

As the game approached its conclusion, there were chances for either side to snatch a winner.

Helan fired on target from an Owls corner but his goalbound strike was deflected wide before Kirkland charged from his goal to challenge Campbell outside the area to clear the danger.

Millwall: Bywater, Shittu, Trotter, Morison, Bailey (Williams 60), Woolford, Lowry, Martin (Feeney 66), Fredericks, Keogh (Campbell 56), Malone 

Owls: Kirkland, Palmer, Loovens (Lavery 46), Llera, Onyewu, Helan, McPhail (Coke 59), Semedo, Lee, Maguire, Nuhiu 

Advertisement block