Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Under-21s comeback to down Swans

5 September 2014

  • Owls Under-21s overcome Swansea 2-1
  • Rafa Floro sent off on the stroke of half time
  • Lee Bullen's side fightback from 1-0 down
  • Franck Betra hits second half brace to secure the win

Ten-man Wednesday emerged 2-1 winners against Swansea on Friday afternoon at Hillsborough, with Franck Betra on target twice for the hosts.

The Owls Under-21s fell behind on the stroke of half time when Rafa Floro conceded a penalty for handling on the line and saw red for his troubles.

Kenji Gorre converted the penalty but Wednesday fought back after the break to secure the points.

Betra equalised from the spot before scoring a wonderfully taken solo goal in the dying minutes to turn the game on its head.

For new recruit Claude Dielna, it was a first taste of Hillsborough action as the defender lined up alongside Lewis Buxton at the heart of the Owls’ defence.

Swansea were first to threaten on six minutes when Kenji Gorre’s dangerous near post delivery picked out Henry Jones, who was thwarted by Joe Wildsmth.

Jones then tested Wildsmith moments later, this time from a free kick 20 yards from goal but the young Owls keeper got down well to parry the ball to safety.

But Wednesday were dealt a major blow on the stroke of half time.

Floro received his marching orders after his clearance off the line from Jay Fulton’s header was adjudged to be with a hand.

Gorre duly despatched the spot kick to send the Welshman down the tunnel a goal to the good.

After the resumption, Rhys McCabe came within a whisker restoring parity with a dipping effort from range that flew just wide of the Kop net.

Despite Swansea’s numerical advantage, Wednesday continued to press and Cornell was twice called into action to make saves from Betra and Mani Dieseruvwe.

And the Owls were rewarded for their endeavours with just minutes to spare from the penalty spot.

Betra was impeded by Fulton in the area and stepped up from 12 yards to level the game for Wednesday.

But the Owls, and Betra, were not content with just a point and as time ticked down at Hillsborough, the young Frenchman completed the comeback.

Ryan Croasdale burst upfield and found Betra, who motored past the Swansea backline before firing into the bottom corner.

Owls: Wildsmith, Young, Dielna, Buxton (Sanders 66), Floro, McCabe, Grozdinov (Havilland 46), Meadows, Croasdale, Betra, Dieseruvwe (Tracey 80)

Advertisement block