Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Charlton Athletic

11 April 2015

  • Wednesday and Charlton draw 1-1
  • Caolan Lavery opens scoring
  • But Addicks hit back through Gudmundsson

The Owls dictated Saturday’s Championship clash with Charlton but emerged only with a draw to show for their efforts.

Caolan Lavery gave Wednesday a first half lead and his side had chances to put the game to bed but Charlton hit back through Johann Berg Gudmundsson midway through the second period.

The Owls then promptly hit the bar twice in a matter of seconds, which perhaps indicated their luck was out at Hillsborough once more.

With both teams comfortably in mid-table, a top-ten finish was the next target and the contest saw a lively opening.

Gudmundsson tested Keiren Westwood with a low drive five minutes in before Lavery curled an inviting effort just past the post.

Wednesday powered on and might have taken the lead on 21 minutes when Lavery broke at pace and fed Lewis McGugan but Stephen Henderson was off his line swiftly to deal with the danger.

The Addicks countered themselves, though, moments later and Morgan Fox smashed over the crossbar and the Londoners went even closer 13 minutes before the interval from two clear-cut chances.

First, tenacious work from Igor Vetokele saw the ball land at the feet of Simon Church, whose shot on the angle was deflected wide by Westwood.

Then from the resulting corner, Fox was in space near the penalty spot and drilled a low effort that seemed destined for the net but Westwood pulled off a magnificent save.

And that intervention proved crucial as Wednesday scored from their next attack on 40 minutes.

The recalled Lewis Buxton sent a delicious ball into the six-yard box and Lavery was on hand to stab past Henderson to give the Owls the half time advantage.

The busy Lloyd Isgrove created room to force Henderson into action just after the restart and the Charlton keeper tipped over from Lavery as Wednesday looked to double their lead.

It was all Wednesday and Chris Maguire delivered the perfect cross that flashed across the Addicks’ penalty area but no one could get the telling final touch.

And while the score stayed at 1-0, the Owls were vulnerable to the counter and duly punished with 15 minutes to go.

Westwood parried a fierce drive from Chris Eagles into the path of Gudmundsson, who advanced to hammer emphatically into the roof of the net.

But that only inspired Wednesday, who went straight down the field and incredibly hit the woodwork twice.

Lavery unleashed a wicked drive from distance that thumped the post before Isgrove’s hooked effort came back into play off the crossbar.

It was harsh on Wednesday as they dominated from almost the first whistle to last and three points would have been the merited return.

But despite asking all of the questions to the end, they could not make another breakthrough – substitute Atdhe Nuhiu headed wide from a Stevie May cross - and had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Owls: Westwood, Buxton, Hutchinson, Maguire, Lavery (May 80), Lees, Helan, Zayatte, Isgrove, Bus (Nuhiu 71), McGugan (Lee 71)

Charlton: Henderson, Gomez, Gudmundsson, Eagles (Diarra 83), Vetokele, Buyens, Church (Watt 58), Solly, Fox, Jonson, Cousins

Advertisement block