Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Ipswich Town 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday

15 August 2015

The Owls kicked off their 2015/16 away days with a trip to Ipswich on Saturday but returned with nothing to show for their toils.

After home wins over Bristol City and Mansfield, Carlos Carvalhal’s side were out to take that impressive pedigree on the road and got off to the ideal start with Ross Wallace firing the visitors in front.

But the Tractor Boys hit back in an instant through Freddie Sears and Tommy Smith’s second half header proved decisive.

Right at the start of the game, things looked rosy for Wednesday as they almost scored from their first attack when Marco Matias cut across the edge of the box and delivered a low shot that came back into play off the post.

Ipswich responded with last season’s top scorer Darryl Murphy spinning to shoot on the turn but Keiren Westwood, who later left the field carrying an injury, was alert to deal with the danger.

The Owls’ keeper then dived to keep out a Murphy curler before a last-ditch challenge by Jack Hunt denied Ryan Fraser.

But against the run of play, Wednesday opened the scoring on 19 minutes. Matias broke down the left and pulled back for Wallace to drill home from eight yards.

The lead lasted less than two minutes, though. The home side ventured straight upfield, the ball fell kindly for Sears on the angle and the former West Ham striker smashed into the far corner.

Following that flurry of action, the contest entered into a lull that ran for the remainder of the first half that, all things considered, was a relatively even affair.

Ipswich showed their intent immediately after the resumption when Christophe Berra had a diving header hooked off the line by Lewis McGugan.

And on 52 minutes, they hit the front for the first time. Fraser jinked his way into the area down the left side and his driven cross was deflected by Westwood onto the head of Smith, who nodded home from close range.

The Owls were dealt another blow moments later when Westwood was withdrawn and his replacement Joe Wildsmith was called into immediate action, saving smartly from Sears.

At the other end, Balkowski saved from Wallace as Wednesday chased an equaliser - Balkowski then saved at the last from Lucas Joao - and Ipswich did enough to hold on in the closing stages and register their maiden league win of the new campaign.

Wednesday: Westwood (Wildsmith 57), Hutchinson (Nuhiu 62), Loovens, Matias, McGugan (Lee 79), Lees, Helan, Jaoa, Lopez, Hunt, Wallace

Advertisement block