Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

League Cup memories – quarter final classics

1 December 2015

Ahead of our clash with Stoke City this evening, Jonathan Davies reflects on four memorable quarter-final matches in the recent history of the League Cup.

Coventry 0-1 Wednesday
January 23, 1991

Nigel Pearson was the hero for Wednesday, who progressed to the semi finals for the first time in their history during the triumphant 1990/91 campaign.

Ron Atkinson's Second Division side were unbeaten in seven games when they travelled to top flight Coventry, who had suffered just one defeat over that same period.

Pearson scored his eighth goal of the season and what proved to be the winner at Highfield Road, when the skipper scrambled the ball past Steve Ogrizovic from close range.

The Owls held on to book an unprecedented appearance in the last four.

Wednesday 1-0 Ipswich
February 3, 1993

Nothing could separate the two Premier League sides at Portman Road two weeks previously as they played out a 1-1 draw, meaning that a replay at Hillsborough was required.

Again, this was a tough game to call. Trevor Francis' Wednesday were unbeaten in nine since December, while Ipswich were also in good form having won their last three.

In the absence of the injured David Hirst and Mark Bright, Francis looked to youngster Paul Warhurst to deliver the goods.

He duly obliged seven minutes into the second half, latching onto Roland Nilsson's clever through-ball before neatly lifting over Clive Baker to send the Owls through.

Wimbledon 1-2 Wednesday
January 11, 1994

Mark Bright's stunning volley settled another all-Premier League clash for Wednesday at Selhurst Park.

The Owls were unbeaten in six, while Wimbledon came into this game from the back of a 3-0 defeat of Scunthorpe in the FA Cup.

Francis' men drew first blood when Gordon Watson got away from the hosts' defence before coolly finishing into the roof of the net.

Dean Holdsworth was on hand to equalise, poking the ball home on the line after the visitors failed to clear their lines from a corner.

The game was crying out for a winner and it arrived courtesy of Bright, who won the initial header from a long ball downfield before unleashing an unstoppable volley from 25 yards that flew into the top corner.

A goal fit to win any game set up a semi final showdown with high-flying Manchester United.

Wednesday 4-0 Watford
December 19, 2001

Terry Yorath's men had clearly not read the script when they welcomed fellow First Division side Watford to Hillsborough.

They were without a win in three, while the Hornets were on a run of six games unbeaten.

Wednesday opened the scoring five minutes before half time when Matt Hamshaw sent a high ball into the area and Gerald Sibon out-jumped Alec Chamberlain to nod it into the empty net.

Teenager Hamshaw doubled the lead 17 minutes from time with his first goal for the Owls.

Picking the ball up deep inside his own half from a Watford corner, he embarked on a powerful run before rounding off a fine individual effort with a neat finish in off the post.

Cracks began to develop in the Hornets’ defence and Phil O'Donnell took full advantage with a minute to go, receiving the ball just outside the area and drilling it low into the far corner.

The rout of Gianluca Vialli's men was then completed in the dying seconds by Trond Egil Solvedt, who skipped away from a couple of challenges before firing home number four.

This ruthless performance booked a last-four date with Blackburn.

Advertisement block