Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Yesterdays: League Cup memories – fourth round classics

27 October 2015

Ahead of our clash with Arsenal this evening, Jonathan Davies reflects on five memorable fourth round games in the recent history of the League Cup.

Aston Villa 1-2 Owls
18 November 1987

Wednesday had relegated Villa from the old First Division with a 2-1 victory in their last meeting at Villa Park the previous May.

The Owls were in good form under Howard Wilkinson - a 2-0 defeat to Luton Town three days earlier had ended a five-match winning streak in all competitions.

Graham Taylor, meanwhile, was leading a strong promotion charge for Villa in Division Two, but they had suffered two straight defeats at home coming into this game.

Therefore, it was no real surprise when the visitors went in front in the first half, as Lee Chapman pounced on an error from Martin Keown before coolly slotting past Nigel Spink.

The hosts responded, though, when a long ball from Bernard Gallagher was met by Garry Thompson, who powered home a header to equalise.

Wednesday were reduced to ten men before half time when Gary Megson was dismissed for violent conduct but, despite the numerical disadvantage, they went on to grab the winner in the latter stages of the tie.

Mark Chamberlain raced away from the defence and pulled the ball across the area. Chapman just failed to make contact, but an unmarked Colin West did not as he made no mistake in netting the game's decisive third goal.

Owls 4-0 QPR

2 December 1992

Each side was desperate for a victory, as Trevor Francis' Wednesday had drawn their last five matches in all competitions while QPR had lost their last two under his namesake Gerry.

There was only one team in this contest, though, as the Owls ran riot at Hillsborough.

Mark Bright got the ball rolling when he finished off Carlton Palmer's cut-back from Chris Waddle's long ball, and David Hirst made it 2-0 with a cool finish before half time.

Palmer volleyed home number three as Rangers failed to clear their lines after the break, before Roland Nilsson completed a neat move by rifling home the fourth.

QPR 1-2 Owls

1 December 1993
aston vill
A year on and this was a tough game to call with both sides in decent form.

Wednesday were unbeaten in their last ten matches, while Rangers had suffered just two defeats from their previous 13.

The Owls eventually prevailed once again thanks to goals from Nigel Jemson and Ryan Jones, meaning that Michael Meaker's strike for the Hoops was nothing more than a consolation.

West Ham United 1-2 Owls

29 November 2000

Having suffered consecutive defeats in the First Division, Wednesday upset the odds as well as the form book when they travelled to Upton Park to face a West Ham side that had won five of their last six in all competitions.

Paul Jewell's men took a surprise lead on the half-hour mark when Kevin Pressman's long kick was flicked on by Efan Ekoku, and an unmarked Owen Morrison had all the time in the world to set himself and fire past Shaka Hislop.

More poor defending allowed the Owls to double the lead four minutes into the second half, as Ashley Westwood rose to meet a corner and plant his header firmly into the far corner.

Frank Lampard gave Harry Redknapp's side a glimmer of hope when he volleyed in 18 minutes from time, but Wednesday held on to advance to the quarter finals.

Aston Villa 0-1 Owls

28 November 2001

Terry Yorath's men were in good form and protecting a three-match unbeaten run that included an emphatic 5-0 victory over Stockport County four days earlier.

John Gregory's Villa, by contrast, were without a win in three and were starting to fade in the Premier League after a strong start which saw them go top of the table at the end of the previous month.

Efan Ekoku scored the only goal after 40 minutes when he raced onto a neat through ball from Simon Donnelly before firing past Peter Schmeichel.

Advertisement block