Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

League Cup third round classics

21 September 2015

Ahead of our Capital One Cup clash with Newcastle on Wednesday, Jonathan Davies reflects on five memorable third round games in the recent history of the League Cup.

Owls 7-1 Leicester
27 October 1992

First Division Leicester had lost their last two matches coming into this tie and things went from bad to worse for them as Wednesday ran riot at Hillsborough.

David Hirst and Nigel Worthington were on target in the first half, before Mark Bright bagged a brace after the break.

Gordon Watson climbed off the bench to add a further double for the Owls, sandwiching a strike from fellow substitute Chris Bart-Williams.

Trevor Francis’ men went on to reach the final, where they were edged out 2-1 by Arsenal.

Owls 2-1 Middlesbrough
10 November1993

Wednesday were unbeaten in four matches going into this replay, while recently relegated Boro were without a win in four.

After a 1-1 draw at Ayresome Park, nothing could separate the sides once again over 90 minutes as Gordon Taylor's strike was cancelled out by Robbie Mustoe.

The game was crying out for a hero in extra time and Carlton Palmer came up trumps when he volleyed home the winner in the dying minutes from Andy Sinton's cross.

Francis' men progressed to the semi finals before succumbing to a rampant Manchester United.

Owls 4-1 Nottingham Forest
13 October 1999

Wednesday had suffered a poor start to the Premier League season under Danny Wilson, with just one win from their opening ten games.

They were able to put their domestic struggles to one side, though, as they comfortably brushed aside Forest at Hillsborough.

Richard Cresswell struck just before half time and further goals after the break from Andy Booth, Danny Sonner and Petter Rudi put the game beyond Forest, who grabbed a late consolation through Dougie Freedman.

Wilson's men were unable to repeat these antics in the next round, however, as they bowed out to Bolton.

1 November 2000
Owls 2-1 Sheffield United

Following relegation from the top flight, Wednesday were just bouncing back from a run of eight straight defeats under Paul Jewell.

Spirits needed lifting against city rivals United, who were in good form with just one defeat in 11 games.

New signing Efan Ekoku was the man to do so, as he broke the deadlock when he headed in his first goal for the club on ten minutes.

Michael Brown pounced on some sloppy defending to equalise and the match went to extra time, where another Ekoku header proved to be the winner with seven minutes remaining.

The Owls went on to reach the quarter finals before losing out to eventual finalists Birmingham.

Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Crystal Palace (Wednesday won 3-1 on penalties)
10 October 2001

Wednesday could have been forgiven for not being overly confident going into this clash with Palace.

They had won just one of their opening 11 league matches under Peter Shreeves and had recently lost 4-1 at Selhurst Park to the Eagles, who were on a run of four straight victories.

The Owls feared the worst when Simon Rodgers’ free kick crept into the far corner after just 11 minutes, but a second half equaliser from Ashley Westwood sent the game into extra time.

Aki Riihilahti regained the visitors' lead in the 105th minute, before 19-year-old Tony Crane climbed off the bench to head home and force penalties.

Crane, Owen Morrison and Steven Halsam were all on target, while Kevin Pressman performed heroics by denying Dean Austin, Tony Popovic and Jovan Kirovski to send Wednesday through.

Having already taken out Premier League side Sunderland, they also dispatched of Aston Villa before being overcome in the semi finals by eventual winners Blackburn.

Advertisement block