Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Bristol City 4-1 Wednesday

9 April 2016

Club News

Report: Bristol City 4-1 Wednesday

9 April 2016

Bristol City brought the Owls’ four-match winning run to an abrupt halt with a convincing 4-1 win at Ashton Gate.

The real damage was done in a rampant first half for the Robins, with goals from Lee Tomlin (2) and Bobby Reid placing City squarely in the box seat.

And any hopes of a Wednesday comeback were extinguished early in the second period when Jonathan Kodjia put Lee Johnson’s side out of sight.

Substitute Ross Wallace slotted a consolation but the earlier damage was irreparable on an afternoon to forget in the West Country.

Ironically enough, it was Wednesday who started the contest on the front foot and they came close to scoring twice in the first five minutes.

First Aiden McGeady profited on some loose defending and City were saved by some brave goalkeeping by former Wednesday shot-stopper Richard O’Donnell.

Then returning midfielder Barry Bannan hit inches wide from a set piece – before the Owls were undone and the floodgates were open.

Adam Matthews crossed for Tomlin to convert via a deflection on ten minutes as City scored from their first attack and just three minutes later, it was 2-0 when Luke Freeman pulled back for Reid to slam past Joe Wildsmith.

Kodjia almost piled on the misery midway through the half after cutting in from the right only to sting the hands of Wildsmith from close range.

The Owls rallied without creating chances, the next of which fell to the hosts ten minutes before the break when Freeman burst in on goal and was denied by Wildsmith.

But another goal was coming and it duly arrived on 43 minutes. Liam Palmer was adjudged to have tripped Tomlin in the box and the striker picked himself up to dispatch comfortably from the spot to give the Robins and almost unassailable half time lead.

Wednesday made a double change at the interval, with Lucas Joao and Wallace entering the fray – but to no avail as City made it four on 52 minutes.

Reid tumbled beneath a challenge from Wildsmith, the referee pointed to the spot, and Kodjia did the honours.

That made the remainder of the game academic but Wednesday at least pulled one back on the hour when Wallace struck a fierce free kick from O’Donnell.

City replied with Kodjia coming close to a treble when his low shot from distance whistled wide, while Wallace and Fernando Forestieri went close for Wednesday.

The closing stages saw little more in terms of goalmouth action with the points all but decided, leaving the Owls to regroup before returning to Hillsborough next Saturday against Ipswich.

Wednesday: Wildsmith, Palmer, Turner, Lees, Pudil, Lopez (Wallace 46), Lee, Bannan, McGeady (Joao 46), Forestieri, Nuhiu (Matias 56)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account