Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/02/2016

2 February 2016

REPORT: Owls 1-1 Burnley

A second half strike from Kieran Lee earned the Owls a 1-1 draw against Burnley this evening at Hillsborough. 

The Clarets took the lead after three minutes when the Sky Bet Championship leading scorer Andre Gray turned home Sam Vokes’ pass from close range. 

But Wednesday earned a share of the spoils three minutes into the second half as Lee swept home after latching on to Atdhe Nuhiu’s lay off. 

Ten changes were made to the side after Saturday’s FA Cup defeat at Shrewsbury, with Gary Hooper the only player to start the consecutive matches. 

Keiren Westwood returned between the posts for the Owls, while Sam Hutchinson partnered captain Glenn Loovens in central defence. 

Deadline day signing Aiden McGeady was named amongst the substitutes. 

The visitors looked sharp from the outset and took the lead on three minutes. Welsh international forward Vokes spun before laying the ball on a plate for Gray to stroke home from inside the six-yard box. 

Ross Wallace tried his luck on the 20th minute after being teed up by Kieran Lee, but the winger’s low drive was well held by Tom Heaton. 

At the other end it was a fellow Scotsman who registered the next meaningful chance as Scott Arfield ballooned his shot over the bar after a smart cut back by George Boyd. 

Fernando Forestieri was then denied twice in the space of a minute after his venomous strike was first deflected just past Heaton’s post, before turning the resulting corner goalwards which the goalkeeper held. 

Former Claret Wallace is no stranger to a long range strike, and the number 33 couldn’t have come closer to notching against his old club when he skimmed the crossbar from distance. 

With half time looming, Westwood pulled off a fine stop to deny the visitors a second. The Owls were a body light in the penalty area with Daniel Pudil receiving treatment and Vokes rose highest for the header which was sublimely pawed away by the Republic of Ireland international. 

The hosts needed to take the strong finish to the first half into the second, and they levelled on the 48th minute through Lee. 

Barry Bannan drifted in a terrific cross to the unmarked Nuhiu on the edge of the six-yard box, and the big centre forward knocked the ball down for Lee to side-foot past Heaton from close range. 

With the wind in their sails Wednesday went in search of a second goal with Bannan firing marginally over from 25 yards. 

Burnley had been significantly quiet up to the 70th minute mark but had a chance to regain the lead when Vokes received the ball three yards from goal, but the flag was raised for offside. 

With only a few minutes left on the clock there was just enough time for Everton loanee Aiden McGeady to make his Owls debut, replacing Wallace on the wing. 

As both sides toiled to find a late winner, referee Andy Woolmer sounded his whistle to bring an end to an entertaining clash at Hillsborough – extending Wednesday’s home unbeaten run to 14 games. 

Wednesday: Westwood, Hutchinson, Loovens, Nuhiu (Joao, 82), Hooper, Lee, Hunt, Wallace (McGeady, 87), Pudil, Bannan, Forestieri

Advertisement block