Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Fulham

9 January 2016

Wednesday posted their third win of the season against Fulham, this time in the FA Cup to advance to round four.

Having overcome the Cottagers twice in the Championship – and only last week in the capital – the Owls made it three from three with a 2-1 success.

Barry Bannan opened the scoring with a thunderbolt just before half time only for the visitors to reply in an instant through Moussa Dembele.

But Atdhe Nuhiu came off the bench to hit the winner in the second half to ensure Wednesday go into the fourth round draw.

The Owls carried on where they left off at Craven Cottage last Saturday and took the game to Fulham, with Glenn Loovens almost netting his maiden goal for the club early doors.

Kieran Lee jinked past two defenders only to be thwarted by Andy Lonergan and Loovens sliced the rebound wide.

A timely intervention from Shaun Hutchinson then prevented Lucas Joao from connecting with a Modou Sougou feed before desperate defending kept out the latter at the near post.

But with the cup clash seemingly heading into the interval goalless, the tie exploded into life with two goals in a minute.

First, on 43 minutes, Bannan executed a perfect hit from 25 yards that positively flew past Lonergan and into the top corner.

But Fulham caught Wednesday cold straight from the restart and substitute Dembele crashed home from close range to haul the visitors back on terms.

And the Londoners then promptly came out of the traps apace for the second period – and should have doubled their tally on 47 minutes.

Ashley Richards delivered a perfect ball on to the head of Dembele but Joe Wildsmith made a superb point-blank save to deny the striker a double.

Moments later, Jamie O’Hara saw a fierce shot from 12 yards bravely blocked by Daniel Pudil as Fulhsm saw another chance go begging.

And it was the same scenario again on 56 minutes when Tom Cairney found Alex Kacaniklic but the Swedish international got the ball tangled at his feet and the opportunity was gone.

And the Owls duly made Fulham pay on 73 minutes when substitute Nuhiu calmly volleyed past Lonergan to restore the lead.

A three-man build-up ended invitingly for the big man, who made no mistake on the angle in front of the Kop.

With the game stretched for the closing stages, Joao could have put the tie beyond doubt but sidefooted wide from a Jeremy Helan pass.

Fulham pressed for a second equaliser towards the whistle and Sakari Mattila drilled narrowly over from 25 yards, which was the Londoners’ last chance of note.

Wednesday: Wildsmith, Palmer, Loovens, Joao, Lee, Lopez (Helan 46), Sasso, Sougou (Nuhiu 59), Wallace (Semedo 77), Pudil, Bannan

Advertisement block